Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dairy - Yea or Nay? page

aktres is offline Senior Member

Dairy - Yea or Nay?

What's your position on dairy these days? I'm asking because I go back and forth on it. Broke thru a weight loss stall on dairy-free Whole30 (Whole 21 in my case - holidays). Went back to it but minimally - no yogurt, some cheese, butter for cooking, cream in my coffee if I wasn't making it at home (at home it's coconut milk). But I do have seemingly permanent sinus issues and I've come to think dairy is the culprit. Had a wine and cheese girls night Friday, and Saturday morning could not breathe through my nose. Was sick all day Saturday, felt like I was coming down with a cold. Today I'm fine again and just went out for a run. Now I could blame the wine of course but I'm eying the cheese.

What's been your experience, and what is your position on dairy these days? I'm thinking of just going all-out Paleo and cutting it for good.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I eat butter, home-fermented and strained greek yogurt, cheese and heavy cream. Not sure if i want to know if i would feel better without them or not. I seem to have trouble losing weight if I'm eating more dairy than this though.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I feel much better now that I've cut most dairy out. I use butter liberally and I'll have cheese if it comes with a restaurant dish (not often). I'm not opposed to the idea of having a glass of raw milk on occasion, but I have to drive a little far for that, so I don't buy it very frequently. Overall, my skin looks better, I sleep better, and I have more energy than I did when I was regularly eating cheese, yogurt, and cream.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    I've cut out all dairy except butter and a little raw, aged cheese here and there due to seasonal allergies. I notice a distinct difference in congestion with even a little unaged cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, yogurt or kefir.

I do hope to be able to use some of those items in the summer, when a nice cool source of protein will be handy. But until the pollen has died out, dairy just isn't worth it.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I cut milk and butter out, and just do 0 carb imported hard cheeses to snack on.

DJinNC is offline Member
    I'm still a newbie but have cut milk out; paring down the cheese; will have some Fage total occasionnally and don't think I will give up butter. by the way - wine gives me that stuffy sinus thing - sulfites I think

by the way - wine gives me that stuffy sinus thing - sulfites I think
    Oh that's bad news...

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I think that dairy has more than proven itself to be a relatively healthy food, but quality probably matters most. I have been eating grainfed pasteurized dairy for the last few days. My tummy hurts. Best to get the good stuff.

I also probably wouldn't drink milk, but the fattier stuff would be all right in moderation.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Stabby I guess I am looking at it as a possible source of inflammation. I'm trying to solve this problem of pressure in my sinus. It's really just on one side. It goes from bad to worse, but it just doesn't go away.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm assuming that you aren't consuming raw pasture-produced dairy. If not then by all means eliminate it and see how you're doing. Many of us can't break down lactose because we can't produce the lactase enzyme, and pasteurization destroys the lactase in the dairy. The presence of a sugar in the gut that can't be metabolized will cause an inflammatory reaction. My guess is that this is pasteurized dairy you are consuming.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast