Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCT oil vs Coconut oil? page

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

MCT oil vs Coconut oil?

Primal Fuel
    ok went to ND having trouble losing weight and been on strict Paleo for months. watching nuts etc and no dairy ..working out been very strict Ifing etc..
    have no gallbladder and have thyroid issues(on meds for) so she wants me to try MCT oil instead of my Tropical Traditions coconut oil and EVO it is not like I set around spooning it in my mouth but that is my oils I use when I cook and bake etc
    does anyone know the difference between MCT oil and coconut oil? and if MCT oil is truly better? I googled it but not getting much from a paleo or primal point of view...........thank you xoxo Darlene

test my sigg

Grok is offline Senior Member

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    I am so excited to see this! My vitamin D supplement has MCTs and I wasn't completely sure they were paleo approved, but now I know I'm good!

it is derived from coconut oil but isn't exactly coconut oil
    I just don't get the difference and why ND wants me on this instead of Tropical Traditions coconut oil
    she said the MCT will help me lose weight faster? just wondering if Mark may of said anything about this stuff? I searched the forum but found nothing
    thank you xoxo

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalGoddess View Post
    it is derived from coconut oil but isn't exactly coconut oil
    I just don't get the difference and why ND wants me on this instead of Tropical Traditions coconut oil
    she said the MCT will help me lose weight faster? just wondering if Mark may of said anything about this stuff? I searched the forum but found nothing
    thank you xoxo
    Many here seem to be of the opinion that taking extra coconut oil (rich in MCT's) helps with weight loss. But the maths just don't add up.
    If I can dig up the research, I'll post it up.

thank you Dave I would appreciate it, any info you can help me with would be wonderful.
    ND thinks since thyroid problems and no gallbladder it will help me get past my stall(which has gone on for over 4 months strict on Paleo) gave up dairy and all(was on Primal blueprint) but tried to go strict to get things moving and well ur they are not! sucks
    xoxo Darlene

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Here you go, not exactly the one I was thinking of, but explains the 'math don't add up' reference in my reply..

T NATION | Does Your "Fat Math" Add Up?

JAWS is offline Junior Member
    MCT is great for losing weight, and has been used by body builders for a long time - since it is a thermogenic (cuts fat and maintains muscle)

One disclaimer, if you have had liver problems than do not use it. Otherwise this stuff is absolutely amazing, you only need a little and it will take you a long way as far as energy, weight loss, and cognitive function go.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    The question I have is if MCT oil is not just refined coconut oil, how do they get the MCT out of the coconut oil? Is the process safe or is it chemically derived. I have looked and have not found any info. on that aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast