Thread: Reduced endurance while climbing page

Coel is offline Junior Member

Reduced endurance while climbing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I've recently started eating in a more 'primal' manner mainly out of curiousity at the moment just to see how well it works. I've only been doing it for around two weeks and I've been very strict with what I eat (as far as possible anyway, grass fed meat is expensive in the UK). I'm noticing some really positive improvements already, i.e. fat loss, dry skin problem has pretty much cleared up. The thing is I rock climb and I've noticed the last couple of times I've been that I'm not performing as well as I usually do, my forearms are burning out (feeling tight/tired) much quicker.

As climbing is quite heavy on muscular endurance I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the way I'm eating, and has anybody else had a similar issue? On an average day I tend to eat eggs/bacon/sausage (97% pork/no rusk,etc), steak/chicken with veg in the evening, and more steak/chicken later on. I tend to snack on nuts and some berries in between. My carb intake is probably no more than 20 g on a bad day and I always try to eat a bigger meal before I go climbing/exercise.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything like this in relation to climbing as I've found it works your muscles in a quite a specific way. Holding on for long periods having to fight through the lactic acid build up in the muscles and most of the material relating to climbing nutrition talks about carb loading, etc, to prevent ketosis. I'm still reading up on the terminology/science at the moment.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

localad is offline Senior Member
    You might just need a little more time for everything to adjust. 6 weeks has been mentioned before. !'m not a climber but it sounds athletic!

PaNu - P
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    that and/or a slightly higher carbohydrate intake. using something like sweet potatoes.