Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar. How much is ok? page

Hilde is offline Member

Sugar. How much is ok?

Hi! sugar is bad, I know, but does it matter if I eat 5-10 grams daily? It is kind of hard to avoid. It's in EVERYTHING! And of course the days I can't stop myself from having a piece (or two) of dark chocolate don't make it better. So what do you think? Any advice/experience?

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    a little dark chocolate never hurts. . . i have it two to three times a week.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is bad, unless it is in a piece of dark chocolate!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Buy real food. Cook it. Eat it. No sugar whatsoever. Dark chocolate gets a pass from me, but the amount of sugar in the 90% stuff is really small.

Gordo

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    I avoid processed foods and don't add any sweeteners (sugar/honey/artificial sweetener) to my food. Therefore, the only sugar I consume is what naturally occurs in the fruit and veg I eat, the small amount in the darc choc I enjoy and what is occasionally added to sauces/rubs when eating out or at friends.

If you eat and cook real food, it is pretty easy to avoid added sugar ime.
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    A little (and I emphasize the word "little") added sugar will not do any harm. Mark adds a teaspoon of sugar in his coffee.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mummybeelee View Post
    I avoid processed foods and don't add any sweeteners (sugar/honey/artificial sweetener) to my food. Therefore, the only sugar I consume is what naturally occurs in the fruit and veg I eat, the small amount in the darc choc I enjoy and what is occasionally added to sauces/rubs when eating out or at friends.

If you eat and cook real food, it is pretty easy to avoid added sugar ime.
    Good for you. You really lose the taste for it on Primal in a short time if you take that approach.

trob1234 is offline Member
    if you eat foods in their whole natural state there is no sugar except what is natrually in fruit and veggies. The dark chocolate I eat is 88% and sweetened with beet juice and I love it. If you are craving sweet just eat a peice of fruit. Slowly you will learn to love the taste of food in its natral state. Soon fruit will taste like candy to you.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I have taken to using jam with sugar as an ingredient. Although it is only 5g of sugar per tbs, and 1 tbs per day. I doubt that would have any adverse effects.

Just throwing it out there that honey has less fructose per calorie than sucrose. That doesn't mean use more of it!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i use 1-2 tsp honey in sauces and 1/4-1/2 tsp medicinally (eg, lemon/honey/ginger for colds/flu/niceness). this is probably about once a week -- and that's tops. If we have a cold coming in (or a change of season), we'll do a week of lemon/honey/ginger each afternoon. i use honey in sauce probably once a week, if that.

we have dark chocolate a couple of times a week.

otherwise, we are basically sugar free unless it's a treat (rare) or we are out and about and not in control of what is put into the food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast