Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we overlooking the cons of canned fish? page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

Are we overlooking the cons of canned fish?

Could the canning process of fish produce harmful substances, such as oxidized cholesterol and/or rancid PUFA's. I have looked all over the net but I can't find a clear answer on this, just speculation. I have also failed to find any major 'paleo' figure blog about this. Any ideas? I really don't want to stop consuming sardines because they are such a great source of calcium.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Why are you worried about this? Seems like there are two possibilities, based on what you've said about there being no info on it:

1) You're opening up a can of worms (ha!) that no-one else has thought of yet, and you'll be credited with alerting everyone to the dangers inherent in canned fish

or

2) The reason you can't find any information about it is that it isn't a problem.

Before I can guess which is correct, I need to hear what lead you down the path of thinking this could be a problem.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Why are you worried about this? Seems like there are two possibilities, based on what you've said about there being no info on it:

1) You're opening up a can of worms (ha!) that no-one else has thought of yet, and you'll be credited with alerting everyone to the dangers inherent in canned fish

or

2) The reason you can't find any information about it is that it isn't a problem.

Before I can guess which is correct, I need to hear what lead you down the path of thinking this could be a problem.
    PaNu - P

That post on Panu is what got me thinking.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    OK, I guess it's option 3

3) A guy called Marvin opened a can of worms that no-one else has thought of yet, and he'll be credited with alerting everyone to the dangers inherent in canned fish.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, i've thought of it.

and the way i see it is this: 1. you can choose to avoid canned fish for those reasons; or 2. you can choose to consume canned fish anyway.

i don't consume canned fish, but we will be putting some in our emergency earthquake kit. i figure that it's not a bad idea for emergencies. we're making pemmican (and dating it), plus jerky, plus dried fruit and dried veggies (including fruit/veggie leathers), and canned coconut cream, fish, chicken and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    OK, I guess it's option 3

3) A guy called Marvin opened a can of worms that no-one else has thought of yet, and he'll be credited with alerting everyone to the dangers inherent in canned fish.
    Well if I am to consume these often I don't want to know I am damaging my body in some way or another. I'll keep scouring for more info on the subject.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating tons of canned fish for the past year and haven't noticed any effects of it (I've gone periods of time without it before). I love it, its a quick, cheap and easy protein and omega-3 source for me. If a solid study comes out about oxidized cholesterol in canned fish I may change my ways but for now I'm enjoying my cans of fish.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm also a big consumer of canned fish. I'm a huge fan of canned wild caught red salmon and I eat some tuna as well. It would take a lot of convincing for me to give up my canned salmon habit.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I'm also a big consumer of canned fish. I'm a huge fan of canned wild caught red salmon and I eat some tuna as well. It would take a lot of convincing for me to give up my canned salmon habit.
    same....add sardines. i love the soft bones in canned sardines and salmon. affordable beyond belief if you hit up the right places/times

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    same....add sardines. i love the soft bones in canned sardines and salmon. affordable beyond belief if you hit up the right places/times
    So true, and that's a big reason why I love them. I'd hate to give them up if they do turn out to be a significant source of oxidized fats or cholesterol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast