Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I"m scared to sprint page

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member

I"m scared to sprint

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have weak ankles and knees, presumably from being so fat for so long (several years with a BMI over 30 will do that, I guess).

I'm currently at my first plateau since starting PB, and I want to get through it. It's discouraging, and I'm falling off the wagon. It was suggested that sprints could help with busting through a plateau, but since impact tends to jar my joints painfully, I"m kind of scared to just bust out running at full speed without letting my body know first.

I am averse to exercise of any kind, but I've been making an effort at strength training once a week. I have pretty toned quads (under the fat) and my calves and shin muscles (dont' ask) are pretty strong, but the rest of my body is pretty weak.

Do you have any suggestions or advice?

neandertal is offline Member
    try different intensity technques but I would firts increase the number of weight lifting session to 2 per week,

then my idea is you could try swimming sprints if you fear for joints;

or maybe hill climber, burpees, jumping jacks or similar activities,

Godd luck
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

ScurvyDog is offline Member
    I sprint once a week and had knee surgery in October slowly accelerate to your maximum speed and slowly decelerate. I also go barefoot on a soft football field. I feel amazing afterward. My feet feel strong. I have a little knee pain but its tolerable. Just start slow. Soft surface!

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    How about biking?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Hill sprints, although technically harder, will produce significantly less impact. This is due to the change in stride length and angle in comparison to a natural gait on flat ground. The only real concern would be the descent.

I'd suggest some short hill sprints with a walk back recovery - but, above all, listen to what your body is telling you.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    Look at your shoes first. Do they have arch support? If so, toss em. I wore a pair of ASICs which I thought were comfortable as hell for almost a year straight. My angles and knees started hurting all the time. I have been wearing Chuck Taylors (flat foot bed) for about two weeks and my ankles are starting to feel fine again. Too much support in a shoe allows joints, ligaments, and tendons to get weak.

As far as sprints go, jump in head first. You won't be able to do much in the beginning (listen to your body!) and you may be limping for a couple days after your first session due to stiff legs. However, after that you should be golden, because that first "jarring" experience and several days of recovery will put your body exactly where it needs to be.

Also, make sure you do them with proper form. Make sure you are landing on the balls of your feet and not your heels. I found out that I could not sprint in my traditional running shoes (ASICs) because the heel was too thick and I COULD NOT land on the balls of my feet.

neandertal is offline Member
    running up the stairs is also cool if you live in a big city
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    You could also do a tabata protocal for a movement that you can do.

For a time I was doing tabata push ups, sit ups, and air squats. Mostly because I am traveling alot and it takes no equipment. Meaning no excuses for me to skip the work out.

Here is an online timer to use:

Online Tabata Clock - Workout Timer
    If your food is fast, maybe you should fast.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Have any pool access? Doesn't get more low impact than that unless you're in orbit... I do my sprints there too. It's my fave place to exercise... no sweat.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You might also try sprints on a rowing machine. You'll want to have access to a cable-style rower though, not a hydraulic one--I've found they're too hard to get up to sprint speed.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast