Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to eat chicken? page

hmaleo is offline Member

Do I have to eat chicken?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, chicken and turkey lunch meat used to be the ONLY meat I ate except for an occasional sausage McMuffin. In fact, I claimed I hated the taste of hamburger and would tell my dad that his medium rare steaks were disgusting. I ate this way for probably 20 years, from age 6. But...

About a year ago when I started my dietary shift, I began eating beef. I started slow with deli roast beef (I know, not the greatest). But I kind of went insane after I cooked my first pot roast. I had never craved more of something so strongly and immediately before. My mouth would literally water and tingle when I'd think of buying a big hunk of raw red meat, and for awhile I couldn't stop thinking about it. Then I discovered the joys of bacon burgers and now my dad looks at me weird when I order my steak rare. I don't feel as insanely obsessed with red meat anymore, but I still eat it more than any other meat, at least once a day, often twice. I've basically been eating beef, pork, and a variety of seafood.

Well, a couple days ago, I stewed some chicken I still had in the freezer to make some salads and while it was okay, I had to drown it in salsa and avocado and after a couple salads, I just want steak! I fed the rest of it to my dogs. Is there a reason why a 27 year old woman needs to eat chicken as a staple? Just writing this is making me happy because I know I have some beef strips in the fridge for my salad today. My doc says I shouldn't eat it more than once a week (hahahaha, no I don't tell her how often I really eat it). I'm curious about other meats like goat, lamb and bison. Do other beef lovers like them?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    No, you don't have to eat chicken. You can just as easily get your protein from other sources of meat.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

jedikelly is offline Member
    I'm with you!! I have chicken only on Saturdays when we go out for lunch to my husband's fav BLT place --- they have a great salad bar but the only meat on it is chicken - when I eat chicken the only thing I am thinking is it's NOT steak! I eat steak 5-6 nights a week - but really I added it up it's only about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds per week. I am a big flank steak person because it goes a long way.

Beef all the way!!

apple is offline Senior Member
    The only chicken that I truly love is the thigh meat with the skin still on. Fatty fat thighs...mmmm, I think that's why it tastes so good to me...otherwise, I'm all about pot roast and bacon! I enjoy beef, salmon and tuna mostly, followed by piggy meat, then chicken. I have almost never had turkey that was any good.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Chicken's generally thought of as being on the lower end of the meat hierarchy, under beef, pork and fish, I guess due to lower fat content and a higher omega 6-to-omega 3 ratio. As others have said, eat whatever you enjoy, but no, you definitely do not need chicken.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    The only chicken that I truly love is the thigh meat with the skin still on. Fatty fat thighs...mmmm, I think that's why it tastes so good to me...otherwise, I'm all about pot roast and bacon! I enjoy beef, salmon and tuna mostly, followed by piggy meat, then chicken. I have almost never had turkey that was any good.
    I'm the same way, except drumsticks also fit the bill. I ate way too many chicken breasts my first two years of college due to not having a kitchen, so I cannot eat plain chicken breasts anymore.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I eat chicken, tuna, salmon, and small amounts of lean red meat, either a lean steak or bison.

I don't buy the "high fat" thing at all.

DJinNC is offline Member
    I too love red meat the best . Used to eat only chicken breast but now I crave the dark meat. I DO love some chicken breast sauteed in coconut oil until it's golden on top of a salad.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is usually that those who will only eat poultry should buck up and eat some beef. Eating only red meat and eschewing poultry is quite acceptable. There are no nutritional advantages to including poultry.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't tried goat yet, but bison is good (if you like beef, you'll probably like it) and lamb is awesome. Lamb is probably my favorite type of meat, actually!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast