Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about Pickles? page

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member

Question What about Pickles?

Primal Fuel
    Do they have a place in a Primal diet?
    I figured they are vegetables, but they have a pretty high carb content. Also they come bottles in these liquids I don't know anything about. I like to eat them, as they taste pretty good. What are the pro's and con's of including them in a diet?

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I eat Bubbie's pickles all the time. I buy them at Whole Foods. They don't contain vinegar or sugar, but are fermented with lactic acid, and contain garlic and dill. The carb count is 1 carb per 1 ounce. According to FitDay, generic pickles are 1 carb per 1 ounce.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Traditionally pickles were fermented and thus a probiotic with benefits for gut health. Today they are generally packed in some sort of vinegar,possibly other stuff aswell. Just check the ingredient list and make sure there isn't sugar or other nasty stuff.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You can get the sweet pickles/gherkins. I like the sour gherkins.

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    If you can find the Bubbies brand Suzan mentioned, that's the one to get. Bubbies also makes a pretty good fermented sauerkraut.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    You can make your own fermented stuff pretty easily too.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    +1 to Bubbie's pickles. I have them as a mid-afternoon snack for the salt and crunch. And I can use the leftover juice as an inoculant to preserve my own veggies. I made spicy garlic carrot pickles that way, and I used Bubbie's sauerkraut juice to inoculate a jar of beets that I put up with allspice and coriander. Both were delicious.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    I am a fan of Strub's kosher dills. I don't care what's in the them, they rock my socks and I figure pickles are not the worst thing that I could eat, so I'll continue to eat them.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Bubbies are my fave. Or you can make them at home if you are so inspired. (I've lacto-fermented LOTS of veggies, and pickles have been by far the most difficult for me, so I too buy the Bubbies.)

Wild Fermentation :: Making Sour Pickles

A WORLD of difference between regular old pickles which have been pastuerized (vinegar etc) and the lacto-fermented kinds. I wouldn't stress over eating non lacto fermented pickles personally, but actively try and eat lactofermented pickles and other fermented goodies on a daily basis for the health/gut benefits. If you can make the switch to a lacto-fermented pickle, there are many benefits, and no guilt.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Dana is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Bubbies are my fave. Or you can make them at home if you are so inspired. (I've lacto-fermented LOTS of veggies, and pickles have been by far the most difficult for me, so I too buy the Bubbies.)

Wild Fermentation :: Making Sour Pickles

A WORLD of difference between regular old pickles which have been pastuerized (vinegar etc) and the lacto-fermented kinds. I wouldn't stress over eating non lacto fermented pickles personally, but actively try and eat lactofermented pickles and other fermented goodies on a daily basis for the health/gut benefits. If you can make the switch to a lacto-fermented pickle, there are many benefits, and no guilt.
    I was going to post the same link to the Wild Fermentations site. I've only fermented a few types of vegetables (sauerkraut, a batch of kimchee that I didn't care for, and pickles). I've had good success with pickles and making them is much cheaper than buying the good fermented kind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast