Thread: Hormone Hell--HELP increase in caloric fat the cause?? (warning TMI:) page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Hormone Hell--HELP increase in caloric fat the cause?? (warning TMI:)

Shop Now
    Hi there everyone,

I'm having a horrible time and I need some help. I know it's to do with my hormones.

My cycles over the last few months have increased in PMS symptoms (bloat, swollen & VERY tender breasts, increase libido, exhaustion) and my actual period has been physically debilitating. I've been exhausted to the point where i can't get out of bed, the flow has been VERY heavy, there has a pain like someone is pulling my bellybutton from the inside, cramps, upset stomach/acid, and lots of tissue. It went on for 5 days (+ 2 before hand without bleeding) and now is slowing down but other symptoms are occurring which I only ever experienced when I tried BC patch.

To be clear I'm not on BC now but the Estrodile patch I tired caused the same symptoms I'm having now almost post period. I feel like I'm dreaming, I'm dissociative, depressed, having anxiety, and just ate everything in the house to try and stay on the ground. I have not felt like this is a LONG time.

Up until a couple of days ago I was eating about 65% fat 25% protein and the rest carbs. Carbs were not more then 40g. When the fatigue came with my cycle I decided 2 days ago to try some sweet potato and dark chocolate. It seemed to do wonders and i had energy. The next day I felt almost manic the energy was so high. I did experience heart palpitations too on and off during then day too. Odd to say the least. But then all of the negatives symptoms described above hit that night and I ate all of the dark chocolate, sweet potatoes, peanut butter and yogurt I could get my hands on.

I'm embarrassed, shaky and really need some help. I'll call my doc on monday to check levels but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

About 2 week before my period I had minor PMS and then stopped for 4 days. anovulation I guess but also unusual for me.

Tomorrow I'm going back to meats, veggies and good fats. I am wondering about the amount of fat I've been taking in though. Could that be increasing my estrogen? It's my understanding that an increase in fat consumption equals an increase in production of steroid hormones.

Thank you for any and all thoughts and advice. In a bit of a hole right now. Feel like I different person. So strange.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    I ate all of the dark chocolate, sweet potatoes, peanut butter and yogurt I could get my hands on.

I'm embarrassed, shaky and really need some help. I'll call my doc on monday to check levels but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
    You've already identified the problem. You are having a reaction to way too many carbs - a sugar high. It is not the fats. It's that carb binge that's got you where you are right now.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    You've already identified the problem. You are having a reaction to way too many carbs - a sugar high. It is not the fats. It's that carb binge that's got you where you are right now.
    Hey thanks griff,
    The thing is though, the carb binge only came after I had these extreme menstrual symptoms and the crippling fatigue was alleviated by .5 OZ 90% chocolate and a 3 oz sweet potato. The next day I did low carb again but had high energy all day but then that evening a bunch of these current symptoms came on (including of course carb cravings.) I get that I do way better on low carb BUT my energy has been really bad and my periods are becoming unbearable. I know that many woman eating primal are experiencing this and it's an ongoing debate as to how to ease this for us. Some of us were going to try more carbs (worked for a second for me but clearly couldn't handle it for more than a day.) The thing is I just ate the carbs to see if it would help with energy but not because i craved them. My appetite was lousy and my stomach was upset.
    And the anxiety, depression, manic stuff all happened 24 hours after eating the chocolate and sweet potato. A bit of a lag time I think to have cause this. And again these symptoms are exactly like what it was like on my BC patch.
    Low carb will help me come back down but there is much more to this I think.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Just some random thoughts...

The heart palpitations are most likely from an increase in carbohydrates after a period of time with low carbohydrate intake - which is relatively normal. When you take carbs really low for extended periods of time, you can create a situation where you feel a "sugar high" just from eating one sweet potato.

If eating the carbs reduces the PMS and the debilitating feeling your period is causing you, then eat them.

Also, if you were eating in a deficit, the lack of energy could have been from that. Eating higher levels of carbohydrates helps bring up the hormones that drop when dieting and cause a lack of energy.

There was a really great discussion around women, hormones and carb intake. There was a whole thread on it. If I can find it, I'll edit my post and link to it.

You are correct that a higher fat intake can increase steroid hormones.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Found that thread about female hormones and eating primal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22423.html

Thanks for the link. I'll read through it.
    I'm really wondering if I need to cut back the fat and increase my carbs. The thing is I feel like cravings and BG are much lower and more stable eating that much fat. i can IF without any stress and when I increase my carbs I'm hungry more often. My BC runs high even when I just eat leafy veggies, meats, and fats.
    This is really frustrating. Feel caught between a rock and a hard place. I can only imagine what my endo doc is going to say about my diet...

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Has your doc checked for fibroids? Really messed with my hormones and the bleeding was ridiculous.

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member
    I second the suggestion to go to the doctor and check for fibroids. Many of your symptoms, including the heavy bleeding, can be caused by them. Good luck and hugs!

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Totally could be the fat increase. Where are you getting your fats from?

When I was bulking and downing a cup of olive oil a day on top of other fats like coconut oil and animal fat...my libido was INSANE and it was uncontrollable. I'm 27 and I felt like I was 16 again. It was a fun ride for a while but I had to cut down so I could think clearly.

So in my case, the extra calories but more importantly, the fat, led to a jump in male libido. This is documented in studies. I'm not sure how this same mechanism would effect females but I bet it's similar. I feel for the females that go through that.., those sound like painful symptoms.