Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your choice of cooking fat page 5

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

One thing you have to be aware of, FD, is that science is not blind. Blinder than faith, but still with an eye out to funding sources and what makes them happy.

There is also just plain old bad science. One does not need a degree to see that vegetarian rabbits, if fed a high saturated fat diet will probably have "issues." Yet, this is an experiment that was done over 50 years ago forms one of the (watery) foundations of the lipid theory of hear disease.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Oops, that's not PB.

Dream Guest

Coconut oil for the win. By the way...can someone tell me how to use the quote function on here?

Tarlach is offline Member

From Wikipedia

[quote]Coconut oil is often partially or fully hydrogenated to increase its melting point in warmer temperatures. This increases the amount of saturated fat present in the oil, and may produce trans fats.</blockquote>

(use [blockquote] blah blah [/blockquote], but with pointy brackets)

If it is hydrogenated, I wouldn&#39;t use it...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Melanie, you need to ask about coconut causing heart diseases from Kitavans. They don&#39;t know what heart disease is and their main source of fat is coconuts. They also smoke a lot. So I guess Coconut oil cannot be that bad, unless hydrogenated.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...h/label/Kitava

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Coconut oil in the markets is unhydrogenated. I&#39;ve never seen any that was. Dang, the stuff is solid below 76 degrees F. I&#39;m sure that the old tropical chocolate bars for the military in WWII were hydogenated, but I can&#39;t think of anything else.

Hydrogenation does not cause saturation. The Wikipedia entry is just flat out wrong. Written, no doubt by a "lipid hypothesizer" who play fast and loose with facts, and love rumor.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    I was considering coconut oil till I researched it some in regard to my nut allergy. The jury seems to be out on that, though most people with allergic reactions to coconut were not allergic to other nuts. I am, to a scary degree, so not quite sure whether to take the chance or not. (Other sources said "don't do it," and anaphylactic shock isn't that much fun!) Butter, bacon grease (we get nitrite and nitrate-free bacon), or lard looks like it will work for us, for cooking.

Still trying to get my brain around abandoning the CW lard concept!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I love lard. I have some beef fat in the freezer I've been meaning to render so I can't weigh in on that yet. You can get lard hot as hell before it starts to smoke, is great for frying fish, chicken, whatever. I use bacon drippings pretty often as well. Sometimes butter, depending on what I'm cooking.

PingPrime21 is offline Junior Member
    I use coconut oil at heat level 5 out of 10 on mah stove.

100% organic of course.
    Last edited by PingPrime21; 09-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil (tropical traditions), bacon fat, ghee, grass fed butter
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I was considering coconut oil till I researched it some in regard to my nut allergy. The jury seems to be out on that, though most people with allergic reactions to coconut were not allergic to other nuts. I am, to a scary degree, so not quite sure whether to take the chance or not. (Other sources said "don't do it," and anaphylactic shock isn't that much fun!) Butter, bacon grease (we get nitrite and nitrate-free bacon), or lard looks like it will work for us, for cooking.
    Coconut's not a nut. There's no reason someone with a sensitivity to real nuts would have any problem with coconuts. That's like people thinking almond milk is a dairy product. Or how a giant gorilla can be called Donkey. If someone's allergic to both coconuts and tree nuts, well, that would suck.

For the purposes of labeling, the FDA calls coconut a "tree nut"...but it absolutely is not one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345