Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your choice of cooking fat page 4

FDgreen is offline Member

Shop Now

Bump to ask about GRAPE SEED OIL. Is it primal? Why or why not?

Thanks!

maba is offline Senior Member

Not take the focus away from the above question, but is coconut oil highly inflammatory as indicated here (or is it again a ploy by the soy/corn industry)?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

Bump to ask about GRAPE SEED OIL. Is it primal? Why or why not?</blockquote>

You think Grok ate grape seeds?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

TomD is offline Junior Member

Where do you buy lard?

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I&#39;m gonna go with low-heat virgin coconut oil and @maba,

I think its propaganda...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Of course grapeseed oil, or coconut oil is not primal. Human&#39;s DNA was probably well set before discovering coconuts on the way to Asia and the New World. But that doesn&#39;t mean that some modern things are not primal-like, or helping us in a PB lifestyle.

A few moment&#39;s research will answer your questions: Grapeseed oil is predominantly polyunsaturated fats, which are not PB. It does have a very high smoke point, but then, why are you heating ANY food to over 400 degrees?

Coconut oil, maba, is the OPPOSITE of an inflammatory oil. Again, it is the polyu&#39;s that are the cause of weak cell walls and the primary component of arterial plaques.

In my kitchen I&#39;m down to lard, coconut oils (using up the last of some non-virgin), olive oil for salads, and butter. Hmmmm....I need to toss that Wesson. It&#39;s probably rancid by now BECAUSE IT IS MOSTLY POLYU&#39;S!

TomD, conventional lard is to be had at any non-upscale grocers. Unfortunately, there is a bit of hydrogenation in it so that it is solid at room temps. But there is no alternative unless you have a local one. I&#39;ll put up with that tiny bit of hydrogenation to get the benefits of lard vs. vegetable oil shortenings. The two tone blue Morrell brand is pretty universal, but I find it has a bit of funky scent. The local Winn-Dixie store which has a very high percentage of black customers has a cheap lard....whaddya know, no scent. (Great store for all things Southern and BBQ!)

MELANIE Guest

i use ghee or lard. i have coconut oil but never use it

There is quite a bit of information slamming coconut oil...I&#39;ll keep looking, but here is one study that says it&#39;s bad for your heart

http://www.healthcastle.com/coconut-...ed-heart.shtml

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

FD, w/o even looking, that&#39;s the old lipid hypothesis of heart disease BS. Google Dr. Mary Enig and be ready to spend an evening or more reading her work and research. She is probably the world&#39;s foremost authority on lipids.

In brief, individuals and peoples who consume lots of saturated fats, especially coconut oil, are far healthier than those who follow the dictum of polyunsaturated, grain derived oils.

Bayou,

Thanks for the tip. While I plan to read a lot more about lipids, I always wonder about studies like the one listed. It is peer reviewed published research from the Heart Research Institute in Australia, a nonprofit organization.

Nonetheless, the stuff on the website surrounding the cited research is pure bunk, but the study makes me wonder on its own...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast