Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your choice of cooking fat page 3

Shine is offline Member

That was exactly what I wanted to say in response to the butcher, that cows have survived on grass for millenia before modern cattle farming. He made it sound like any cow that is forced to survive solely on grass is severly malnourished and basically inedible. In reality it sounds like his wallet is the only thing in danger of being malnourished by cows living on grass.

Disheartened by the attitude at the local butcher shop, I found a ranch about an hour away that sells "Wild Type Ranch Natural Angus Beef" which is touted as "local and natural: No hormone implants, pasture-raised, born and raised locally." Does "pasture-raised" really just mean grass-fed initially and then grain-finished?

They also have "Wild Type Ranch Organic Beef: 100% Grass-fed, Organically raised." What is the difference between the two? Organic grass?

Sorry to hijack this cooking fat thread into a Q&A about grassfed beef.

maba is offline Senior Member

"Sorry to hijack this cooking fat thread into a Q&A about grassfed beef."

@Shine: NO BEEF FOR YOU (intoned like the Soup Nazi)

Just kidding. This morning, I didn't have time to make breakfast and decided to get eggs at the office cafeteria. They also had bacon that I wanted to buy. So I asked the cafeteria guy where they got their bacon from and he looked puzzled and said,"From the store"! And later added, "It comes in a box". That answered my question. I should have know the answer even before asking. Oh well!

Graeme is offline Junior Member

Is the yellow fat form grass fed ok to eat?I think it's tasty

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Is light olive oil better to cook/roast with than extra virgin, virgin or regular olive oil? I thought it was supposed to have a higher smoke point. I ask because I like to roast vegetables in the oven with light olive oil because it isn't really possible/convenient to coat vegetables in solid fat before roasting.

Shine is offline Member

Maba--I really wish I hadn't been taking a drink of water when I read that. I just totally pictured this butcher doing the Soup Nazi routine and almost lost it, lol.

maba is offline Senior Member

@TaydaTot: I roasted broccoli in the oven with butter yesterday. I spread the florets on the tray, topped it with slices of butter and stuck it in the oven for about a minute. Then took the tray out and tossed the broccoli to get it coated evenly with the melted butter. And then roasted it.

musajen is offline Junior Member

maba - I love indian food! I'm a fan of the Primal Indian cuisine thread idea!

ericbisme is offline Junior Member

Like most here, I use primarily coconut oil and lard for cooking. I use EV olive oil for salads and have been known to incorporate it into smoothies.

I used to do just about all of my cooking with olive oil, but I have been migrating to fats more suited to the heat.

LabRat Guest

Butter both clarified and not, lard, bacon fat, sometimes olive oil, need to try coconut oil and avocado oil. Is the latter expensive?

On yellow beef fat- I'm pretty sure that's a good sign. I know that omega-3 enhanced eggs and the eggs of chickens that are allowed to forage for insects as well as their normal feed (which means more omega-3s) range from more intensely yellow to bright orange yolks. Grass-fed butter is also yellow with no dye needed, though I recall the color being attributed to beta-carotene more than omega 3s. Either way it seems the yellower, the better...

Nick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have seen one of the employees from this company post in a forum that their "Avocado Oil, Refined" for $27.72 for a 7lb bottle is food grade (otherwise a Loriva brand bottle of 20oz or or some such is $10 at the grocery store, i.e. expensive): http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=

You might call them and make sure it's actually food grade. I need to do that and ask them what else on their list is food grade, because I'd love to be able to get a cheaper coconut oil, or cocoa butter, etc.

I have a small quantity, and I find it to be helpful when I want something with a very high smoke point and no phytocompounds or what not to get damaged by the heat like olive oil. Also, avocado oil is arguably more primal since olives were not edible pre-agriculture (they require fermentation; or at least a gigantic stone wheel to press the oil).

I use butter, ghee (make my own 4-5lbs at a time, it's easy), olive oil, lard, bacon fat, tallow (grass fed, rendered myself), coconut oil, avocado oil. Would like to get my hands on some goose or duck fat, leaf lard instead of just lard, and cocoa butter and palm kernel oil.

Also, when I cook for other people who don't care about their diets, I use up my stores of peanut oil and interesterified butter-flavor Crisco.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast