Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your choice of cooking fat page 2

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Goose fat! Special occasions though.

Avocado oil is my fave. Then it goes, butter, coco oil and bacon grease/lard. Mmmmmm.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

coma Guest

Coconut oil, I usually get it in bulk since it lasts ages and I'll definitely use it. I use butter ghee (not the veg kind!) or butter occasionally.

Curries are excellent food, it's a lunchtime staple for me. This is especially true once I got the basics down for creating my own pastes. Add in some tomatoes or coconut milk plus onions and some veg and I'll be sorted for a few days.

Another indian favourite of mine is saag paneer, this replaced my pre-bedtime cottage cheese I was eating, mostly because I love the taste!

maba is offline Senior Member

Darn! And to think I was using all that precious coconut oil until now only for massaging my scalp. I too was brainwashed by the Big Foods!

coma Guest

It's not just them, there's far too many doctors and health individuals who brand all saturated fats with the same studies which have been largely discredited once any analysis gets past the initial summary.

Shine is offline Member

Coconut oil. Or if I am having bacon, I make it first then cook whatever else in the bacon grease. I wish I could render some lard, but my living situation doesn't permit me to stink up the kitchen like that. (Does it really make your kitchen smell that awful?)

I don't really trust the local butcher to get lard...last time I asked if he sold grass-fed beef, he laughed at me and said that it doesn't exist since, "cows don't get fat on grass." He then asked me if I like yellow steak fat, since grass would make the steak fat yellow. Always curious, I asked if this was due to the cow consuming a lot of chlorophyll in grass; I had never even heard of such a thing related to grass-fed beef. I think I thoroughly disappointed him when I didn't react with horror to the idea of yellow steak fat. Would I have been better off asking for "pasture-fed" cattle?

Tarlach is offline Member

Grass fed beef fat does go quite yellow over time. Usually when the cow gets old though. Good (young) grass fed beef fat can be very white though.

I like the smell of rendering lard and I don't find it that strong.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

natalienw Guest

I use coconut oil mostly, gives such a nice, rich taste- especially to eggs. I was wondering if anyone has used grapeseed oil or if it is primal or not. It is rich in Vit E and like how beef tastes when I cook with it. Thoughts?

Shine is offline Member

Hmm, thanks, Tarlach. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime when I can open the windows just in case there are any objections. (I was reading your directions in another thread--thanks for posting those as well.)

So if yellow fat is common in older grass-fed cattle, what of the butcher's insistence that cattle don't fatten up on grass? (I was going to point out the incongruity of his statements, but then considered it best not to contradict a large surly man with a very sharp knife in a bloodstained apron.) Is there really an issue with cattle not getting "fat" enough on grass alone? Isn't hay considered grass, albeit cut and dried?

Tarlach is offline Member

Cows grow on grass. It's what they are meant to eat. Until quite recently, all cows were grass fed.

Cows get FAT on grains and this is done to make them heavier (to sell for more money), grow faster and make the meat more tender. The average Joe in a blind taste test will prefer the taste of the tender grain fed beef. Hence the reasons why it is done.

The market asks for it.

* I think the old yellow fat beef might be from milk cows? A cow can't survive much past 140 days on grains before the acid and infection kills them. Milking cows probably still eat grass/hay...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Jedi is offline Member

olive oil, coconut oil and walnut oil.... need to try lard and butter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast