Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marine Corps Officer new to paleo. page 2

jedikelly is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    blarg! can't believe I'm agreeing with a "jedi" but yeah, MEAT- RED MEAT is where it is.
    Every now and then we do agree on something

LtDevilNuts is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Lt....I'm not former military but I do heavily support y'all ...especially the Corps. But I am a fellow North Carolinian.And I know that you can get some excellent meats at your local Food Lion. I live southwest of Raleigh and my food lions have fantastic cuts of red meat. Much better than Wal Mart!
    I'll have to try another food lion! The one I went to seemed to have very limited cuts and certainly nothing grass fed.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    As was mentioned above....dont use the "no grass fed" as a reason to eat crap (i.e. sweets, sugar,grains,carbs). Standard meats are definitely preferred in the body over that junk. Is it as good as grass fed? No. Is it the best you can do considering? Yes. Grain fed meat is better for you by a long shot over non-meat crap...given the choice between the two. To be honest, I have yet to eat any grass fed meat. I just haven't found any local sources. However, I do supplement fish oil hi in Omega 3's (5000mg/day). So, my fats ratio is probably OK. If you cant find any local grass fed sources I would recommend just getting a fish oil supplement high in Omega 3 and the best sources of red meat you can find. Try for the leaner cuts since the fats have all the toxins in them.

Also, my food lion has wild caught fish. A lot of them. You can eat more fish if you find the red meat isnt up to your standards. Have you tried asking the store manager about his sources? He may be able to change some of them to bring in more of a selection for you (of course, you might have to pay for it). If i can get it at my food lion...only an hour or two west of you...he/she should be able to get it for you. I live in Angier and the food lion I shop at is in Benson, NC.

Good Luck Lt
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Welcome - fellow North Carolinian here, Wilmington native in Triangle exile. I would say, concentrate on getting the processed stuff out of your diet and getting in the habit of cooking good easy stuff per Kennelmom's links and other pointers. You can refine with grass-fed this and pastured that as you get the chance. Is there a farmers' market? We are getting into the good season for lots of variety that way, although some of that is a bit of a racket as far as my pocketbook can tell.

Here's one - Onslow County Farmer's Market
    Home site
    "Answer: The farmers market is open on Mondays and Saturdays from 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM at 4024 Richlands Highway, Jacksonville, NC 28546. The market is also open Thursdays from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM at 1112 Western Blvd, Jacksonville, NC 28456. The market is open starting the 3rd Saturday in April until November."

I would not worry about the organic label, as others have said. Fresh and minimally processed gets you 9/10ths of the way.

Good luck! Thanks for your service.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDevilNuts View Post
    Here's a question, how much does "organic" really matter? If i go in to walmart (which is the only place to buy anything near camp lejeune) and pick up some standard red meat, steak, etc, is that paleo enough or is it worth the drive to Raleigh to pay $22 a pound at whole foods?
    The Costco in Wilmington has a few items that are organic and they also have wild caught fish in the frozen section. I have seen organic chicken and grass fed ground beef. They also carry large tubs of organic greens for salads and such.

There is also a farm that delivers grass fed angus beef to Wilmington once a month. I haven't purchased anything yet but plan on putting in a order for 10 or 20 pounds. Their next run is on April 2.

Welcome

Here is a website that helps you locate what you are looking for.

Eat Wild - North Carolina

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    The Costco in Wilmington has a few items that are organic and they also have wild caught fish in the frozen section. I have seen organic chicken and grass fed ground beef. They also carry large tubs of organic greens for salads and such.

There is also a farm that delivers grass fed angus beef to Wilmington once a month. I haven't purchased anything yet but plan on putting in a order for 10 or 20 pounds. Their next run is on April 2.

Welcome

Here is a website that helps you locate what you are looking for.

Eat Wild - North Carolina
    Thanks for that! I have been looking too....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

highmountainlakes is offline Junior Member
    Hey LT, Welcome & Semper Fi.
    Be sure to tell your devil dogs who aren't making their Height/weight requirements about this. When I was at Courthouse Bay, alot of us gained a few pounds due to the....ahem... excessive beer. This info would have been great to help slim down.

Thanks for serving our country!
    Save on Gas & Diesel...Here

tpsky is offline Junior Member
    Welcome LtDevilNuts! I've kind of hit a "menu plateau" myself, but the results trump food boredom. Keep poking around here, and elsewhere on the net for interesting recipes you might want to try out. Also eating new types of animals is fun too, organ meats as well. Good luck

kenari is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDevilNuts View Post
    Here's a question, how much does "organic" really matter? If i go in to walmart (which is the only place to buy anything near camp lejeune) and pick up some standard red meat, steak, etc, is that paleo enough or is it worth the drive to Raleigh to pay $22 a pound at whole foods?
    I too live in the Camp Lejeune area. I will periodically go to New Bern and shop at the Harris Teeter there. You can also head to Cedar Point to the Lowes Food there, they have some wonderful organic stuff too. There is also the Fresh Market at the new shopping center down in Wilmington at the Military Cut off. But for driving purposes I would say that the Lowes Food is the closest for you. Just the other side of Swansboro.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome, LT.

I'm an Army Reservist who lost 40 lbs the Army gave me. (They had me living off-post in a hotel and eating at restaurants for a year.) The military is hard, foodwise. Every meal at the chow hall is like we just came in from a 12-mile ruck. The salad bar at most DFACs will get you mostly primal food, though I'll just use cottage cheese rather than the dressing.

Make yourself some trail mix with nuts and coconut chunks/flakes and maybe a little bit of dried fruit pieces. (Dried fruit often has a lot of sugar, so be careful.) Premade trailmix has a lot of other stuff you might not want (cheap chocolate, for example). Find a source of quality jerky. Have fruit and/or cheese on hand for snacks when you aren't in the field.

Make sure to spread the word, sir. If you can get your fat-body soldiers to lose with you it will be a net gain for the corps and a great bullet point on your OER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12