Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Always Hungry page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

Always Hungry

Shop Now
    Hey, I always seem to be hungry. This is nothing new, back when I ate grain it was the same, but I've been low carb for quite a while now and it's not improving.
    I had a large omelet for breakfast (with tea and a few strawberries), a large steak for lunch (salad and steamed broccoli) and a whole chicken for supper (the skin too, the only thing left was the marrow).
    My stomach is still growling. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    How low carb? and how long is "awhile"

I've struggled with this my entire life and for the first time this week I wasnt. It only lasted about a day but it was amazing. I am slowly slowly feeling my hunger return to more normal levels

What I am finding out about ME
    too low carb doesnt help. 50-100 is infinitely better than <50
    too high in fat makes it worse
    carbs later in the day are better than carbs earlier
    not every time I feel ravenously hungry am I truly ravenously hungry
    skimping the vegetables to save carbs does not work at lunch or dinner
    Skimping the vegetables at breakfast helps.
    running helps...I know it is supposed to make me hungrier, but it doesnt.
    avocado helps
    dark chocolate helps sometimes.
    club soda or seltzer often allows me to feel the fullness I should theoretically already feel.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Under 50g and over 2 months. I can eat until I feel sick and I'll still feel hungry.

Primal Woman is offline Junior Member
    I think it's our stomachs adjusting to the higher levels of fat and protein; in other words, I think we got so accustomed to grains (or for me at least) that once we cut it out, our stomachs are hungry ... for grains, if that makes any sense. It seems as though it should settle after a little while, but I do find that if I eat more protein and more fat, it does help ... I think I need more protein than most anyway, so I try not to limit myself to six ounces if I don't want to.

Your body might also be trying to make up for lost time. Maybe it's craving the protein and fat because you denied it to yourself for a long time, or you didn't get enough of it (if this was the case). I feel this way too, but this is all speculation .

Anyway, hope you feel better soon!
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

Danigrok is offline Senior Member
    Kerrygold butter is what I use to fight hunger cravings.
    ~Danielle~

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yep I found that it only took about a week of eating my normal food plus half a pound of butter to solve hunger issues. Let your hypothalamus know that food is plentiful and it will shut up.

Of course insulin resistance, leptin resistance, and other things (like tapeworms!) might be making you hungry. But assuming that you're healthy it is probably just a survival mechanism.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting enough fat to reach satiety?

EDIT: That is why butter is good. It adds extra fat without much protein.
    Last edited by Bushrat; 03-19-2011 at 09:42 PM.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I am a bit over 2 months in and I also used lots of kerry gold but rarely do anymore.

Anywa, play around. For me <50 g carb day in and day out didnt work on many levels.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    How low carb? and how long is "awhile"

I've struggled with this my entire life and for the first time this week I wasnt. It only lasted about a day but it was amazing. I am slowly slowly feeling my hunger return to more normal levels

What I am finding out about ME
    too low carb doesnt help. 50-100 is infinitely better than <50
    too high in fat makes it worse
    carbs later in the day are better than carbs earlier
    not every time I feel ravenously hungry am I truly ravenously hungry
    skimping the vegetables to save carbs does not work at lunch or dinner
    Skimping the vegetables at breakfast helps.
    running helps...I know it is supposed to make me hungrier, but it doesnt.
    avocado helps
    dark chocolate helps sometimes.
    club soda or seltzer often allows me to feel the fullness I should theoretically already feel.
    thank you for this--it actually provides a lot of insight for me and i think i'm going to venture out a bit on my carbs (again) to get my body properly fueled maybe a small potato or something... any way i might request what a typical day looks like for you? (nutrition and w/o routine?)

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There are simply some people that are hungry very often due to incredibly fast metabolisms, especially in youth living active lifestyles. If I were not now 38, it would not matter what kind of diet I was on, I would have been either thirsty or hungry all day everyday. I've always have an insane metabolism, getting gas and hunger pains all of the time if I did not eat regularly. I've also always gotten dehydrated easily, needing to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

To the OP, do you have any history of mental health issues-depression, anxiety, bipolar? Also, have you tried replacing food with water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast