Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Himalayan salt - what's the deal? page

judoka is offline Member

Himalayan salt - what's the deal?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I was at the local market yesterday and found myself at a stall selling macadamia oil, macadamia butter and.....Himalayan salt. Now I know how great macadamias are, so when this guy began extolling the benefits of Himalayan salt I found my curiosity aroused with my cynical half receding into the background. Is this stuff really the bees knees this guy made it out to be? What are your experiences with it?

mloster is offline Junior Member
    i wouldn't be looking to your salt for a large part of your nutrients. but i bought some about a month ago and have been using it exclusively instead of sea salt or kosher salt. i like that it's a little larger grained. i don't really know how much he's charging, so i don't know if you're getting ripped off. if it's a reasonable price (to you), i'd go for. i definitely will continue to use it

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I use it because it is yummy. I haven't seen any evidence that it is any healthier than regular salt. People making these claims can't back them up with evidence and so I'll assume that any subjective assessments or anecdotes are just the placebo effect or elation from really yummy salt.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    I use it as it has more trace minerals in it (84 of them apparently), things our soil are lacking these days........

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I found a bottle Himalayan salt which has been around for millions of years with an expiration date on it. I just couldn't believe it.
    "Live Free or Die"

claude512 is offline Senior Member
    the advantage is it's not laced with some binding chemical to get the iodide sticking to it, but other than that I think it's just salt... see if you like the taste!
    I prefer fleur de sel, tastewise and for the texture

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I use it because it is yummy. I haven't seen any evidence that it is any healthier than regular salt. People making these claims can't back them up with evidence and so I'll assume that any subjective assessments or anecdotes are just the placebo effect or elation from really yummy salt.
    this.

(on the expiration issue, several states REQUIRE that any consumable item have an expiration date printed, which is why water and salt "expire")

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think it's just that it has all those lovely trace minerals that get refined out. I use an unrefined mined salt from here in the US for the same reason (Real Salt). I don't think it's going to align my chakras or anything but it's tasty and I prefer to rely on whole foods for my nutrients as much as I can.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I currently use Himalayan sea salt. Is it better? I don't know. It is suppose to be higher in minerals.

I don't buy Mercola's but more info is here along with a video: Himalayan Salt - Purest Salt with Amazing Health Benefits

Containing all of the 84 elements found in your body, the benefits of natural Himalayan Crystal Salt include:
    1.Regulating the water content throughout your body.
    2.Promoting a healthy pH balance in your cells, particularly your brain cells.
    3.Promoting blood sugar health and helping to reduce the signs of aging.
    4.Assisting in the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in your body.
    5.Absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract.
    6.Supporting respiratory health.
    7.Promoting sinus health.
    8.Prevention of muscle cramps.
    9.Promoting bone strength.
    10.Regulating your sleep -- it naturally promotes sleep.
    11.Supporting your libido.
    12.Promoting vascular health.
    13.In conjunction with water it is actually essential for the regulation of your blood pressure.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use Celtic sea salt. It's less expensive than Himalayan.

I've heard Himalayan salt has a high amount of fluoride. I do not know if that is true or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast