Thread: fish oil page

RachelRD is offline Senior Member

fish oil

I bought some carlsons fish oil today..

It has 500 EPA and 300 DHA per teaspoon..

per the whole 9 calc, i need 9 teaspoons per day...

I have taken fish oil in the past...but it was def. the wrong kind..had omega 6 in it..sooo, im fairly new to taking the fish oil

my question is...
    how does everyone spread this amount out thru the day if you are at work?

obviously you cant put the liquid in a ziploc baggie and take with you like you can the capsules..

does anyone mix it in anything? I do take a small container of greek yogurt with berries for breakfast..does it change the taste of the food if you mix it with something? and is it still as effective if you mix it with something?

anyone take more than 1 teaspoon at a time? say 2 or 3?

thanks all.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Is that Carlson's flavored fish oil? If it is, I always found it yummy despite the subconscious knowledge that it was supposed to be gross.

The thing to remember with fish oil is that if it comes in ethyl ester form then you need dietary triglycerides (fat) along with it to absorb it properly. If it is this Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon Flavor at Carlson Labs then it is the good stuff and you don't need to take it with anything. Just to be safe the optimal time would be after a meal. You can call it a desert...

Fish oil doesn't have to be consumed throughout the day. You could even give yourself a double-dosage one day and then skip the next. It goes into the cellular bank account.

As for dosage, the all-mighty Robb Wolf fish oil calculator (praise him!) is only supposed to be a temporary thing so as to get a lot of omega 3 in our tissues and reverse inflammation quickly. Then you can take less. It will depend upon the omega 6 in your diet. A good ratio is probably 1:2.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

livingyears79 is offline Junior Member
    Stabby--so if you eat actual salmon (like I did tonight), you wouldn't have to worry about the fish oil for the day? I have the salmon oil capsules.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That's right. Eating salmon means you're getting a bunch of omega 3s already.

With that fish oil, try to take it with a meal. Could be any meal at any time of day.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

When I first started eating paleo the fish oil calculator said I needed 7 tsp a day of Carlson fish oil. I would take 1 tbsp (equal to 3 tsp) in the morning with breakfast and 1 tbsp either with lunch or dinner. But beware, you need to gradually up the amt. I took a tbsp the first day and felt really sick. I also hated it but now i don't mind it too much. I find it easier to just down it than trying to mix it with anything. I now just take 1 tbsp in the morning.

RachelRD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Is that Carlson's flavored fish oil? If it is, I always found it yummy despite the subconscious knowledge that it was supposed to be gross.

The thing to remember with fish oil is that if it comes in ethyl ester form then you need dietary triglycerides (fat) along with it to absorb it properly. If it is this Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon Flavor at Carlson Labs then it is the good stuff and you don't need to take it with anything. Just to be safe the optimal time would be after a meal. You can call it a desert...

Fish oil doesn't have to be consumed throughout the day. You could even give yourself a double-dosage one day and then skip the next. It goes into the cellular bank account.

As for dosage, the all-mighty Robb Wolf fish oil calculator (praise him!) is only supposed to be a temporary thing so as to get a lot of omega 3 in our tissues and reverse inflammation quickly. Then you can take less. It will depend upon the omega 6 in your diet. A good ratio is probably 1:2.
    Hi Stabby,
    yes, it is the carlsons flavored fish oil..i tried a teaspoon last night after dinner, was expecting something bad...and it really had a quite neutral taste..

it says on the bottle, in capital letters, to take with a meal??

and i do try and eat a piece of wild salmon daily..so, are you saying, if one eats something high in omega 3 such as salmon then dont take any fish pil at all that day? i was estimating the salmon had maybe 1.5 to2.0 grams of omega 3 if i eat a 6 oz serving.

i find the whole omega 3 and 6 topic interesting..have never really researched up on it til now..so, if one gets the omega 3 and 6 ratio right in their body...will the body then release the omega 6's that are stored in adipose tissue..is this how it works?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No getting the balance right isn't about releasing stored fats. Its about preventing inflammation and so allowing your metabolism to function as it should. This includes burning stored fat when you're in calorie deficit, rather than holding on to it and providing a starvation response
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine