Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for being an efficient Primal page 2

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Actually, I think my cooking takes less time, now that I'm not worried about preparing a starch, in addition to my meat and veggies. We always have a quick night (tuna, bratwurst, scrambled eggs, etc), a meatball/meatloaf/hamburger type night, a frittata night, I roast a chicken on Sundays and use that for fajitas and roasted chicken salad (or something similar) during the week, and we have steaks one night. That pretty much covers it. Since eating like this, I tend to make much simpler meals. And, the rare-er you like your steak and burgers, the quicker it is to cook 'em!

Shopping- I alternate weekly trips between our big grocery and a co-op that's a bit further away. I was going to the farmer's market every Saturday, but that's done now. I never considered that to be a chore, though. I've also found a source for grass-fed beef that I order from once every two weeks.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I'm not working outside the home now, but when I did, I had a 60 - 80 hour per week job so I got good at the quick meal. I used the crock pot a lot (soups, roasts, chicken) and cooked a lot on the weekends. I'd always cook more than we'd eat & freeze the rest in 1 -2 portion sized plastic containers. I still do this so the hub has lunch ready to go for work.

I also bought already cut up veg so I didn't have to cut stuff up or bought the veg & cut it up as soon as I got home & put it all in zip-lock bags (still do this with CSA/farmer's market veggies). Thaw meat in the fridge that I wanted to use later in the week.

I acutally find eating Primal is easier than cooking some grain that takes an hour to cook (and that I inevitably forgot to prep a la Weston A. Price style so I would have a good serving of guilt to go along with the meal!).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Cooking Primal is so much simpler that sometimes I think I should be doing more, what's wrong?

Where ya been Deb? I've missed your astute posts.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I also find myself cooking a lot on the weekends to make sure I have lots of leftovers for the rest of the week. Even the bacon gets cooked on Sat morning

Baked chickens work out great as my hubby and I usually eat both legs the first time we bake it and the rest we cook with on other days. I also found that if you save the bones from the chicken after it's been baked and eaten (no licking bones though), you can make a very nice chicken broth out of it. After about 24 hrs it's just perfect!

I really empathize with you ladies who have a full-time job, a husband, and kids. I feel like in this time and age there has been so much more pressure on moms to be able to take a good care of their families, bring the bacon home, and also don't forget to be taking care of themselves.

I don't have any kids, but between the job, the hubby, the dog that requires a lot of attention, a part-time business and trying to keep the house looking like it's a home I get very tired without even exercising. I also often cook a separate something for the hubby as he isnít primal and doesnít appreciate pork chops drowned in grease every single day I'm usually pooped out before 9:30 and don't feel like doing anything else.

Crackpot is a life saver though

truckergirl Guest

Have a cooking day on the weekend where you cook lots, divide it into meal sizes, and freeze it. This is what my dad used to do with lasagna, egg rolls, encheladas, ect..., anything that will freeze well. He'd make up huge batches on a Saturday, divide them into aluminum pans and freeze. Basically you're making your own freezer meals.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

You don't even have to freeze it, really, it it's something you're going to be eating during the week. I usually end up eating same stuff for 3-4 days streight. I just have to make sure it tastes really yummy

maba is offline Senior Member

Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions. Cooking large meals and planning ahead is the way to go for sure, but I sorely lack in both these areas. The former can be fixed I think, the latter...ahem. Heck I take atleast 1/2 hour to fix a BAS in the morning! The last few days have been a little better since I chopped up all the veggies over the weekend. I really need to invest in a salad spinner. Washing the leaves and patting them dry is so time-consuming.

@LovesToClimb: I thought you mentioned on another thread that you recently invested in a salad spinner that you really like. Is there a kind/brand you recommend?

Crockpot sounds like a great investment too.

@Hannah: LOL@Strip Dt. I used to shop there often when I lived close to downtown but not anymore. But I'm thinking I should frequent the place after Thansgiving when the farmer's market I go to will end. Did you get to visit Wholey's in Strip? They have great seafood.

Do continue adding all your tips here. Am learning so much from all your input.

nina_70 Guest

We buy our meat in bulk from a farmer every few months...unfreeze as needed and always make triple/quadruple portions. That way we have leftovers for a few days. We also like making big roasts.

For veggies & eggs etc. we shop at one store.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

@maba - yes, my salad spinner, my investment! I still haven't received the damn thing and I want some darn salad! It's been bagged salad for now...

Here's the one that I purchased:

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibe...&section=10054

I grok, therefore I am.

caroline Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have the same salad spinner as Lovestoclimb and I LOVE it!

A tip: I wash my greens in it & put the whole spinner in the fridge (you can lock the top in the "down" position). Before storing them, I take out the basket and towel-dry the bowl & top. Then I line the bowl with 2 paper towels under the basket. The paper towels soak up excess moisture and the greens keep longer. (replace the paper towels when they get damp)

Other time-saving tips I use: I often make a big pot of soup on the weekend. Sunday, I made celery root-kale soup which lasted til last night.

I keep frozen fish fillets in the freezer. You can pan-cook some fish from frozen, which is very quick.

I also keep lots of cans of wild-caught fish for a quick dinner w/steamed veggies. Lemon-garlic sardines, mackerel in spicy sauce...or canned wild salmon mixed with mashed avocado is yummy. (add salt, pepper & a splash of fresh lemon and it's even yummier)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12