Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Running Advice? page 3

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Did any of you have a dip in athletic performance when starting the primal diet and how did you combat this? I read up that if you keep your heart rate low then you can do both but i dont want to be a slow runner i want to be running fast 10k race's.
    I see a decrease in endurance in just about everyone I coach who goes full primal/paleo. It lasts anywhere from a wee to 3 weeks in some folks. After the hump, they are super happy, full of energy and ready to train smart.

Most folks call it the "carb flu", and I too went through it when I switched to eating 95% paleo about 6 months ago.

If you want to be running fast 10K's you need to train fast, but not all the time. Two speed interval sessions a week are plenty. Nothing about your HR is going to make getting past the carb flu any quicker or easier. The only way to "combat" the lower performance and feeling shitty is to get plenty of rest (sleep) and recover well with good foods and perhaps a little bit of branch chain amino acid supplementation on workout days. (pre & post).

I started doing HIIT (high intensity inerval training) three times a week (one run, one bike and one swim) with some maintenance hill workouts back in November using a weighted vest for the hills and the later speed drills (fter progressing slowy and being smart about thw WV training). Last weekend I took off the vest and laced up the trail runners and took 3rd place in my AG (16th overall) in a trail 10K. I have NEVER podiumed in my life and I owe it all to my change in training regiment and the primal lifestyle I adopted last year.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Racing 10K's and TRAINING for 10K's are two different beasts anyway. if you allow yourself to adapt to fat burning on easy runs and time your carbs appropriately for tempo work you can end up faster. Since 90% of runners run too hard most of the time in training primal will probably help you in the long run.

Two sprint intervals a week is probably too much while you are still base building. MOST of your training should be easy.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Balance is offline Senior Member
    1. How many miles and how often are you running each week?
    I am with Runnergal on this one, I run when I feel like it without a set regimen. I run hill sprints or track sprints once a week. 4 x 400s, 4 x 200s, and 4 x100s. With a half mile warm-up jog. If I can't get a track session in because of the weather or schedule, I do interval running with hill sprints for about 3 miles. But I always try to stay away from a smooth tempo jog throughout my runs. I just heard an interview with Art DeVany and he was saying that in traditional hunter gatherer cultures, they laugh at people who jog since they only run to catch prey or to run from predators. And he believes that is how our bodies are meant to run. Of course we don't have to catch our own food or run from wild animals but we can copy that form of training with interval training that is non regimented. Before paleo I used to log 35-50 miles a week jogging so it took me awhile to change to this style of exercise.

2. What is the footwear you choose? VFF/Barefoot/Conventional running shoes?
    I used to run with Nike Tailwinds. Now I run with Nike Free Run's which are intermediate/minimalist shoes. I prefer them to VFF's because I can wear them with jeans and out in public without people pointing or asking questions like I do with my VFF's.

3. Does anyone just run without any lifting?
    I used to run more than lift. Now its the other way around. I run once a week and lift 3-4 times a week.

4. How much running is too much? Is it really a bad idea? I have read a lot of recent reports lately about chronic jogging and the scar tissue it causes on the heart. There was a recent studies both on Dr. Mercola's site and this site showing that effects of long term chronic joggers and heart health. Aside from the scarring it causes, studies have shown that it increases the muscle wall of your ventricles which lead to heart attacks and deaths in well trained endurance atheletes. So yeah, I think running too much too often is a bad idea.

5. Have you had to tweaked the diet any because of your running?
    I would only need to tweak the diet if I was to increase the amount of running I do.

6. Anyone made a comeback after an extended layoff and how did you go about it?I did not make any comebacks since I have scaled down for good.

7. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated?
    I think if you are trying to limit the amount of inflammation on your body and you are going for overall health, I would consider removing chronic cardio from the equation. A lot of recent science is proving that to be true. Instead of running 5 or 6 days a week run twice and walk the other days. I personally run/sprint one day a week, walk 3-4 days a week, and I play full court basketball once a week for 2 hours. All my cardio is varied and never regimented. I personally feel I am stronger and faster than ever. Interestingly enough, my 5k times over the last two years have been better than in the past using this routine. (My city has a yearly 5k run which I participate in) I was actually worst off when I was jogging 4-5 times a week.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but here is a video that all chronic cardio junkies should take a look at.
    http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3147421.htm
    Last edited by Balance; 03-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

floridapiper is offline Member
    I am new to primal, but have been running for 4 years, though I am slow. I didn't go very low carb before my last marathon in Feb, so I can't give advice on that. However, after being mostly primal for the last month, I find that my everyday runs are faster - I try to run them at a slow pace, and that pace has getting faster. There may be a connection...

I run in neutral shows, but would like to transition to minimal shoes, then maybe VFF. I run about 15-20 mpw. I will add extra carbs after my long runs (anything over 90 minutes). Pre marathon I was eating about 100-130 carbs per day.

Great to hear everyone else's experiences here...

redtoycar is offline Member
    I've been a runner for about 9 years. When I started PB last fall, I was nursing a stress fracture and I did CrossFit over the winter. I picked up running again a few weeks ago and am faster, and I tolerate minimalist shoes much better after years in motion control shoes. I think this is a result of both diet and putting more effort into squats, lunges, and oly lifting. I find I run better and exercise better in general if I'm more liberal with the fruit and nuts. I'm not in this for weight loss as much as I am just to feel better. So lots of veggies, nuts, fruits, eggs and meat. It's what works for me. I also consume a good amount of coconut milk, coconut oil, and I'm one of those Udo's oil people. I swear it helps with the DOMS after a weights workout. I weight lift 1-2x/week.

I'm going to 2nd, 3rd, or 15th the advice to workout as to what feels good to you. The less regimented I am, the happier and better performer I am.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Right now, I'm trying out doing just one 4 mile tempo run every week. (My "sprint.") Before, was doing absolutely nothing to short 3-4 mile runs a few times a week. In pre-primal times, I've ran 30-40 miles a week as normal (up to 80 miles at my max).

Conventional.

I do some informal playing around with weights a few times a week; again, very unstructured.

4. How much running is too much? Is it really a bad idea?
    I, too, have struggled with injuries. When those pop up, its too much.

No, I stay VLC primal. If I need to start carb-loading, that is my definition of too much running. (But I've thought about it: I miss training for a race...)

6. Anyone made a comeback after an extended layoff and how did you go about it?
    I wouldn't say my current mileage is a come-back, but I will say that I have seen huge strides in running ability. 4 or 5 months into primal, just 2 miles was difficult. Pathetic! Now I'm closer to my sub 7:00 per mile pace, and that just sort of hit me one day on a run (after several weeks of sedentary-ness, no less). However, I have not gone above 4.5 miles in a single run. The days of daily 7 milers seem to be gone. (Possible with the right conditioning maybe?)

You love running. Don't ever stop. And running legs are hot.

Jezsh is offline Member
    Before I went primal I was running around 30 mpw about 5 days a week. While I enjoyed it, this was too much and way too fast and I ended up with a foot injury. After that I did loads of walking, but now I'm getting back to the stage where I'm aching to run. I probably run about 20km a week.

A mix of conventional and VFF.

I only do bodyweight exercises at home, but my exercises comes from many sources including walking and cycling as well as running.

I think when your legs ache and feel heavy for days afterwards, when you find yourself tired instead of raring to do, that's a sign you're doing too much.

I usually get around 100g of carbs a day and occasionally more, so I don't tweak. But I'm also not completely strict either.

Well, after I injured my foot I guess I've made a comeback. I started with walking, gradually upping the mileage, then with short jogs gradually increasing the distance. I also stopped doing very fast runs - now I just jog along easily and do sprints about every 10 days (want to up that a little though).

Listen to your body. Don't be a slave to the 'shoulds' - i.e. I should be going fast, I should be doing more/less, I should be doing longer/shorter distances. If you're sensible, your body should be telling you what's good for you, I think.

God, I can't wait to get home and run!

capt46f3 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York

Not much. Maybe 10-15 miles. Never ran more than 20.

I wear Newtons. I am new to midfoot/forefoot running so I wasn't ready to go totally minimal.

I am not doing lower body for now until I get up to my goal miles. My reason is I kept hurting my left knee with regular heel striking and have a goal time to reach for PT test. But I'll resume lower body training at least once a week once I get closer to my goals.

Personally, my PT test involves a 1.5 miles run. So you won't see me doing anything more than 5k training.

I eat pre workout protein and carbs on the one day I do 800m repeats. I have 30gm Whey Protein Isolate and 30gm Rice syrup 30-60 min before. Otherwise I run on an empty stomach or a few hours after eating

Can't help you here.

If you like running, then run! Personally, it is not my favorite sport, but I wish to do well at it. I'd rather deadlift than run anyday, but it is a part of my what is required for me to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123