Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Running Advice? page 2

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Don't dicount the recovey you get from a walk, however short it is, at a regular interval. Many folks will keep a much faster average speed doing a steady 4:1 (4 min run + 1 min walk) for an entire marathon than they would running the whole thing. A run/walk strategy is important to have as an option in your overall race plan. I have run several marathons at the end of Ironman Triathlons witrh a run/walk method. It is annoying as hell to have the runners pass you EVERY time you stop to walk, but after about 18 miles, those same runners stop passing you and you start passing a lot of people who are now walking the entire last 8 miles.
    Thank you for this!
    I like this and I think I'll adopt it for my 5K race in April. I can do about 5 minutes of running at a time now, and I can't see myself being able to run the whole thing by April 10th!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I practice the Scandinavian art of Fartlek. The tabata protocol is crap.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Someone else said it, but I will second the use of Couch to 5K. Then, for the marathons and half marathons I've done I've used a run/walk interval method. I am a slow runner though and shouldn't be looked to for much advice. After not running for a while here (I am a fair weather runner only, I hate the cold almost as much as I hate Justin Beiber) I am starting up again with the aid of C25K. I have a half marathon to do in January 2012 so this is a great way to start over. I like the timed intervals.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    I'm just starting to run and I'm using the C25K program (Couch to 5 K). You can download the running/walking cues onto your ipod and listen to your own music.
    Hey cool.

I'm toying with the idea of running again. Maybe not as much as before but certainly more than I do now. So glad they have a handy android app.

doskiball is offline Junior Member
    Like that post good replies from the modorator thanks got effective infos

doskiball is offline Junior Member
    This definitely describes my experience. I can get a lot of flow by myself but tend to be more self-conscious and less engaged when I'm with others. Something to work on, I suppose.

eisenreich is offline Member
    1. Currently around 35-40, I'm taking the minimalist approach to ultra-training..
    2. New Balance Minimus trail shoes, though I'll be getting in more barefoot / Vibram miles soon.
    3. I quit my gym a year ago, I just do body weight exercises like pushups, pullups, dips, and incorporate stretching.
    4. If you enjoy it, running is never a bad idea. How much is too much depends on your goals. Listen to your body.
    5. Since going primal, I've switched from Gus to almonds and sports drinks to NUUN for electrolytes.
    6. Find a training plan to match your goals, listen to your body, and don't go too hard/long too quickly.
    7. If you like books, I've enjoyed "Born to Run" and "Chi Running"

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I practice the Scandinavian art of Fartlek. The tabata protocol is crap.
    \

Are you just trying to be cute using fart and crap in the same post or are you serious?

Have you ever done a true tabata workout? 170% vo2 max will leave you completely destroyed if you do it right. What most people do is call a high intensity interval a "tabata" interval when they in fact should more accurately call it a "tabata style" interval. Most everyone uses the 20 seconds on : 10 second off part, but never the 170% vo2 max part.

I ran a development series of 8 weeks for cyclists last fall utilizing a "tabata style" high intensity format and we had four athletes doing before and after body fat dunk tests. Average loss was 4% BF. The EPOC elicited from high intensity intervals with incomplete recovery (a-la tabata protocol) has been shown to exist in many clinical trials and is not crap as you imply.

As a high level cycling and triathlon coach, I have seen the impact of all kinds of training regiments and the a Tabata Protocol definitley has a place in an athletes seasonal periodization plan.

And yes, I do know that Fartlek translates into "speed play" in English.
    Last edited by Karma; 03-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Fartlek's is the runner's term for sprint repeats.

Dullahan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Did any of you have a dip in athletic performance when starting the primal diet and how did you combat this? I read up that if you keep your heart rate low then you can do both but i dont want to be a slow runner i want to be running fast 10k race's.
    It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast