Thread: Onions and sulfur, a rant page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Onions and sulfur, a rant

Primal Fuel
    I hate onions more than just about anything! I admit it, I may be crazy, but I just absolutely despise them. I wonder if anyone else here has an onion intolerance, and if they know more about it than the following-

Raw or undercooked onions make me nauseous, and it lasts for about a day. I have experienced this since I was a kid. I'm 50, and it never changes. I'm active in a yahoo group called Onion Free, which is about the "onion allergy," but I don't think it is technically an allergy, i think it is just intolerance. I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs-no surprise.

I never understood it until I took organic chemistry in college, and we went through a section in our book about sulfur analogues, compounds that have a sulfur atom as a substitute for oxygen. These compounds tend to be stinky, poisonous, or just offensive.

Sulfur analogues, besides the nasty part of onions, include rotten eggs, mustard gas, skunk scent, and the stuff they put in natural gas to make it smell gross so you can detect a leak. They also include garlic, which doesn't bother me.

I have noticed that dehydrated onions don't bother me, and others in the Onion Free group report this as well. I guess this is because processing breaks down the sulfur analogue enough to change the chemistry. I used to like onion dip when I was a kid, and onion salt, but if we went to McDonald's for burgers, I would protest like they were poison, because in a way, they were.

Anyone else experience this? What do ya know?

My favorite food place right now is an Earth Fare market, like a Whole Foods. They have an awesome hot food and salad bar, but the cooks are just onion maniacs. They put onions in everything. I've written to HQ, and protested on their Facebook page, and challenged them to explain why they think onions are a "health food."

Argh!

Thanks for reading... Any ideas on how we can get this offensive vegetable out of our lives?
    Last edited by DFH; 03-19-2011 at 01:47 PM.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Cook your own food?

Not going to get much support from me. I hate raw onions but cooked, especially roasted, onions are one of my favorite foods of all time.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I love raw, cooked and pickled.

A romaine wrap filled with leftover roasted onion, roasted garlic, leftover warmed turkey... mmm

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    Cook your own food?

Yeah, no kidding!

I do cook my own out of necessity. It would just be nice to enjoy eating out too.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    I love onions, so I'm sorry, but you probably won't find a convert to your crusade against them in me.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Not everyone is sensitive to onions--I like them and used to beg my mother for bits of raw onion when I was a kid. But I do understand feeling frustrated that you can't get food without them easily. As a celiac, I really do get that it sucks to have to be super careful all the time.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Yeah, no kidding!

I do cook my own out of necessity. It would just be nice to enjoy eating out too.
    You can eat out. Just tell the server you are allergic to onions. But expecting a buffet of prepared food to not have an ingredient that you cant eat is unreasonable.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

DFH
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    ... But expecting a buffet of prepared food to not have an ingredient that you cant eat is unreasonable.
    I know that. I gave up on that. I still fail to see why it is considered "healthy" and somehow required in nearly everything, even things that usually don't have it in them.

I just like to rant anyway.

It's OK, when I get my evil onion virus perfected and spread it around the world and finally get this offensive vegetable off the list, I will be going..mmmmmwwwwwuuuuahahahaha....

It's all part of my evil plan....