Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Annie page

miss_annie is offline Member

Primal Annie

Yeah, I want a journal, too.

Someone brought to work yesterday the traditional St. Josepeh's Day pastries: Zeppole for St. Joseph's Day - Providence Food | Examiner.com

Definitely not primal. I ate a third of one and went on my way. But I was really worried about the leftovers because I'm one of only two people who come in Saturday and I could have snarfed one (or more) down pretty much in secrecy. I came in today to find a pastry box in the refrigerator, which I flipped off. Sure enough, about 1 PM I couldn't take it anymore and went back to the break room. Only to find what I thought was a pastry box was someone's leftover taco salad! LOL! The pastries are all gone and as fortunate as that is, I was a little disappointed.

So I ate my leftovers from last night, the chicken almond stir fry from 500 Low-Carb recipes (chicken breast, snow peas, mushrooms, peanut oil, white wine, tamari, garlic and ginger.) I used to hate eating leftovers, but using more than a teaspoon of oil goes a long way towards making food still appetizing the next day. Primal rules.
    Last edited by miss_annie; 03-19-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typos bad

I went to the gym last night after work and did 45 minutes of hill intervals at a slow speed. Dinner was the last of chicken stir fry, a handful of cashews, raspberries and a bit of white wine.

Breakfast today was sparkling water and a protein shake. I was going to do weight training this afternoon, but then I fell asleep in Meeting and nearly took a header into the pew in front of mine. (Dozing off is easy to do in a Quaker Meeting, seeing as there's no sermon, singing, etc., but I've never fallen THAT soundly asleep before.) So I decided that after lunch and dinner prep, I would take a nap, then take the subway to Coney Island and go for a long walk on the beach.

Lunch was scrambled eggs, sirloin, raspberries in a bit of half and half with stevia, and licorice tea. Dinner will be marinated mushrooms and broccoli with an "alfredo" sauce made of cashews, pine nuts, olive oil and seasonings.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, Hedonist! Nice to meet you.

The walk on the beach was a bust. My 20-30 minute cat nap turned into a 4 hour heavy sleep. I figured I must have really needed the rest because I got a full 8 (albeit fitful) on Sunday night and felt fantastic on Monday, but then I slept little and poorly last night. My sleep patterns have been all messed up since I took 5 days off two weeks ago and I'm getting tired of it.

So, due to lack of sleep, my planned 30 minute weight session turned into a 45 minute walk around the neighbohood. Fortunately, my neighborhood includes the Shore Promenade along the Lower New York Bay, so it's nice walking.

Yesterday I ate the leftover broccoli and mushrooms with some of the nut "alfredo" (that recipe made way more than 1-2 servings of sauce); the brussel sprouts recipe from the Primal Cookbook (except I used almonds instead of hazelnuts); an apple; I think I had a smidge of cheddar cheese; I made a sheperd's pie with ground beef, mushrooms, onion, oil, and mashed parsnips with butter and ate 1/5 of that; and a bit of red wine. I decided to also polish off the last of the white in my fridge, which I figured would be a quarter glass (I have those honkin' 20 oz wine glasses.) It turned out to be a half glass, which was too much wine for one day. Also, a few times during the day I ate a spoonful of the nut alfredo.

After my walk this morning I had a protein shake. I refused to believe Mark's assertion that the fiber in the primal diet is enough and added commercial fiber powder to my shake. Big mistake. I've been really prone to diarrhea since I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and that fiber on top of all the nuts triggered it. I don't know what I was thinking; I was pooping just fine without help. So now I'm sipping on a coconut water at work.

I read Mark's section on supplements this weekend and given my pretty regular diarrhea, I figure I would benefit from some probiotics. I'm a little short right now, but as soon as I get my next paycheck I'll pick some out. I'll get Mark's brand if it's not crazy expensive.

I also reworked my budget so that I'm spending way less on eating out during the week and way more on groceries. Which means I absolutely have to start bringing lunches to work.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    My sister is a very active Quaker. We were mostly raised by our grandmother, who was Quaker. But there was no meeting nearby. I haven't been to a meeting. (I'm pagan.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I have yet to meet one, but I've heard of Pagan Quakers. And Buddhist Quakers, Hindu Quakers and Jewish Quakers. I belong to the Liberal tradition, which is fairly comfortable with universalism. Which is good, seeing as I don't think of myself as Christian.

Yesterday during the weekly meeting at work, someone was eating a calzone and all the melted cheese was driving me nuts. Someone else was eating a sugar cookie in my face and that was driving me nuts, too. I scratched the itch by getting a personal pizza and eating just the toppings. I would have gotten a white pizza (no sauce) but they were out, so I got sausage and pepperoni. I probably would have been better off with just cheese - I'm sure it was low-quality meat. And who knows what sweeteners were in the sauce - good thing there wasn't much on it.

Dinner was two portions of leftover sheperd's pie and half my brussel sprouts and I had a coffee with half and half (not a common occurrence for me) around five. I thought about having a glass of wine when I got home from work (I don't get home until shortly after 10) but I figured I'd had enough calories and just drank water. (I'm trying to lose 25 pounds).

For breakfast today I had a protein shake and 4 spoonfuls of the still leftover nut alfredo (I don't think it's going to last much longer - I may end up throwing it out.) When I got to work I went to faculty dining and got a big salad, two hard-boiled eggs and as much marinated ham as the server would give me. I had to trudge through a lot of cold rain to run errands this morning and was feeling morose and self-pitying, so I invoked the 80% rule and got a Diet Coke to drink.

When I got back to my office, I remembered I'm trying to lose 25 pounds and threw out about 1/3 of the ham and one of the eggs. I'm sick and tired of measuring and recording everything that goes into my mouth, so my strategy this time is to take what I think is a resonable portion and put back 1/3 to 1/2. I only do this with calorie dense foods - I can have all the veggies I want. Fruit, too, because while I know it's higher in calories than veggies, I'm never moved to eat so much fruit that it blows my diet. I've known people who can binge on grapes, but I'm good after a cup or two.

The remainder of my eating yesterday consisted of: a half-handful of almonds, a banana, an Atkins snack bar I found hanging around my office while my stomach was growling, one portion of my sheperd's pie, the last of the brussel sprouts and about an ounce of cheddar cheese. I was pretty hungry thoughout the evening yesterday.

I hit the gym this morning and did about 25 minutes of weight training. It had been nearly two weeks since I'd last been in the weight room (that's a long time for me) so I took it easy. One to two exercises for each major muscle group, medium weight, 3 sets of ten reps. I used mostly dumbbells and body weight, but I used the lateral raise machine because I HATE doing lateral raises and they're a bit less odious on the machine.

I had protein shake pre- and post-workout (I'm not one of those people who can do strenuous exercise first thing in the morning without a bit of food.) Lunch was 2/3 of the flank steak at the faculty dining room, most of a hard boiled egg, and greens and celery with about a tablespoon of caesar dressing.

My co-worker putting walnuts in her brownies helps keep me primal. I frickin' hate walnuts.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm reeeaaally pushing the boundaries of the 80% rule today. There's a function going on at work and there are always fruit and cheese plates at these things. So I headed upstairs for a nibble of cheese and a few bites of fruit. There was no cheese. I ate a few melon chunks. Then I licked the frosting off a mini-cupcake. Then I licked the frosting off a second min-cupcake. Then I grabbed a guava and cheese empanada after rationalizing it by saying "How often am I going to be given the opportunity to eat a guava and cheese empanada?" I fled with empanada in hand before I lapsed even worse. Then I ate all but one bite of it.

Damn work events.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast