Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Fructose Content of Paleo-Friendly Veggies (Carrots, Onions, Tomatoes) page

choppedliver is offline Senior Member

High Fructose Content of Paleo-Friendly Veggies (Carrots, Onions, Tomatoes)

Primal Fuel
    I'm seeing that many Paleos are watching out for high-carb and high-starch veggies. But what about fructose, which is, in Dr. Lustig's words, a "hepatotoxin" and can mess up one's metabolism by increasing triglycerides, promoting insulin resistance, inducing metabolic syndrome, and creating advaned glycation end (AGEs) products, which increase the aging process. Fructose may not necessarily register in your BG meter but it is directed to liver and can increase your HbA1C, LDL, liver enzymes.

In view of this, shouldn't someone following Paleo practice limiting fructose-rich vegetables like carrots, onions, tomatoes, red bell peppers, and Jerusalem artichokes? That goes without saying for the HFCS, of course, and sugar-laden products, which is 1/2 fructose, after all. But I don't think people realize how much natural fructose is in some of the Paleo-friendly veggies?

So what is a sound Paleo practice with regard to naturally-occurring fructose? Eat with impunity? Moderation? Strict avoidance?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If carrots are a hepatotoxin, there is something seriously wrong going on. Generally the faster the fructose hits the liver and the more fructose, as well as the more glycogen is already stored, the worse the effect. Carrots will not be turned to triglycerides.

Lustig is adamant that the main problem is not fiber-bound sources of fructose which do not hit the liver very fast.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Well, Lustig actually mentions carrots as an example of how the high fiber content of fruits and veggies prevents you from overeating. The fiber in carrots makes you full, so you are not gonna eat a truckload of carrots. In other words, fiber-laden veggies and fruits have a built in appetite suppressant.

But does Lustig actually realize how much fructose is in carrots? I may venture to guess, he doesn't. Some may find this shocking, but you would be surprised how little some of the experts actually know about the nutritional content of common vegetables and fruits. Yes, he's focusing on HFCS. Yes, he's against sugar-laden desserts and center-aisle products. But surprise, carrots and some of those nightshades are "fructose sticks."

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Remember how T. Colin Campbell arrived at the conclusion that all animal protein is bad after feeding mice isolated casein? Isolated fructose =/= whole food fructose.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Oh good gravy.

Not everything is an all or nothing game. It is just as damaging to say if a lot of X is bad than I have to avoid ALL X as to say if a little is good then I should megadose on it. If you avoid all fruits and vegetables that have fructose you are also missing out on a host of other nutrients.

Free fructose in carrots is roughly 0.6g/100g Which means to get a whole gram of fructose you need to eat almost 3 medium carrots.

Eat food. Real food. Most real food has such a wide variety of compounds that the interactions between them can not be studied. One compound might be proinflammatory while another is antiinflammatory, one might be oxidative, while another is anti oxidative.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

batty is offline Senior Member

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I say, if you must obsess about something, obsess about being gluten-free or grain-free or, better yet, making the world a better place but not about vegetables. Loved the Carrot Train to CrazyTown. Prior to Primal, I used to be one of those people who rode the carb crazy train daily. Now that I'm largely off of the grains and starchy stuff, my blood sugar is blissfully stable. Occasionally, when I indulge in a sugary treat, I don't even notice it, blood sugar-wise. So I will enjoy my carrots in moderation, with a huge pat of butter, and also the occasional banana or sweet potato. I think I actually feel better with the starchy, non-grain, carbs in moderation, and I've lost two pants sizes since Thanksgiving without suffering a bit. Go primal!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Show me one single piece of evidence that eating carrots has caused one person to be less healthy. Your logic will lead you eventually to eating nothing whatsoever, which is a well-known killer. Paradoxical, ain't it?

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    His video was about eating fructose on its own and without fiber. Not the whole food.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    His video was about eating fructose on its own and without fiber. Not the whole food.
    I would venture there is not one substance that if that was your sole sustenance wouldnt end up killing you. Rabbit starvation anyone? Shall we spurn protein?
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast