Thread: Sprinting in the Snow page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Sprinting in the Snow

Primal Fuel
    Mark has convinced me that I need to start sprinting in order to gain muscle mass [1], however I have been using the cold weather as an excuse to not sprint.

So, my question is to you guys who live in colder climates. It snowed last night, and it's snowing right now. If today is my sprint day, what should I do? Do you guys just go ahead and do your best sprinting in the snow?

Please advise. Thanks.

[1] How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Depends on the type of snow and the tempurature. If it is a light layer of fresh wet snow over grass it can be very slippery and dangerous. If it is deep snow in a field it is great fun to try to bound through the snow. if it is hard snowpack on a sidewalk you should be OK as long as you have good form and run in daylight where you can watch for slippery spots - there is a bit of a technique for placing your feet which you will learn quickly - think of trying to run quickly on ice- sort of flat footed more up and down leg action as opposed to pushing off with the toes). Thick slushy snow can be fun but very tiring as you slog through it. I love running in the snow but you cannot always go 100% all out depending on conditions - sometimes you have to to do slightly slower but longer 90% sprints. Other times it is a muscular effort to slog through deep snow- can be fun if you have a heavy back pack or you pull your kids in a sled. What is even more fun is to find a hill and slide down, then try to sprint up pulling your sled. If it is steep enough you will not hurt your self if you fall and the work out is super intense.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Many runners use YakTraks for running in snow. Of course if you don't have a pair that wouldn't help today. You can get them at Amazon. I have them, but I don't like running in them. I bought a pair of Icebugs for that. They have carbide studs in the soles and they're a wonderful poison green color. Kahtoola also makes something called Microspikes that also stretch over your shoes, but they are a bit more agressive than the YakTraks and a lot more expensive.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you need to take sprinting literally. If you want to do a little Kettlebell swing tabata instead, or a CrossFit Fran, you are also "sprinting" and in this way you can exercise inside until the snow clears up

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    I don't think you need to take sprinting literally. If you want to do a little Kettlebell swing tabata instead, or a CrossFit Fran, you are also "sprinting" and in this way you can exercise inside until the snow clears up
    Okay, I have a kettle bell, I'll give this a try.