Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Sugar-free nitrate-free bacon? Does it exist?

  1. #1

    Sugar-free nitrate-free bacon? Does it exist?

    Shop Now
    My husband won't eat sugared bacon due to colitis, but all the nitrate-free bacon options have sugar in them. Is there a sugar-free nitrate-free brand I can order online or something? I can't seem to find one in Atlanta. He is ok with honey but can't find that either, only sugar.

  2. #2
    I haven't found any either (and have a feeling if I did they would be prohibitively expensive) however I have found some bacons that are cured with either no or a lot less sugar and if you take those and soak them in water in the refrigerator over night it will leech out a lot (though not all) of the sodium, nitrates and sugar. I don't eat a lot of bacon but I find this helpful (and I like the fact that the bacon is a lot less salty).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Redmond WA
    Posts
    1,542
    I don't think there's any such thing as nitrate-free bacon regardless of the sugar content. The bacon that has no sodium nitrate added tends to use sea salt or celery salt instead, which contains natural nitrates. A bacon without nitrates of any kind would rot. Some people thing the sodium-nitrate-added kind might actually be better, because the quantity of nitrates can be more carefully controlled to hit the sweet spot between too little (food will rot) to too much (not healthy).
    Liz.

    Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    33
    I buy nitrate free bacon from my local Amish farmers and they have it processed with salt and some sugar but nothing else.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    282
    I have heard you can just buy some side pork (the cut bacon is made out of) from butchers.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I don't think there's any such thing as nitrate-free bacon regardless of the sugar content. The bacon that has no sodium nitrate added tends to use sea salt or celery salt instead, which contains natural nitrates. A bacon without nitrates of any kind would rot. Some people thing the sodium-nitrate-added kind might actually be better, because the quantity of nitrates can be more carefully controlled to hit the sweet spot between too little (food will rot) to too much (not healthy).
    Thanks, I've also read about this elsewhere. He loves his bacon so I am worried about the nitrates. I haven't convinced him to eat it less often...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    I have heard you can just buy some side pork (the cut bacon is made out of) from butchers.
    Thanks for the tip!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Redmond WA
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
    Thanks, I've also read about this elsewhere. He loves his bacon so I am worried about the nitrates. I haven't convinced him to eat it less often...
    BTW, I eat it every day for breakfast, so my comment wasn't intended to deter consumption, but rather to make sure consumption includes full disclosure
    Liz.

    Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    I buy natural uncured bacon made by oscar mayer & hormel. Would either of those work?
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    28
    Shop Now
    Check farmer's market. I've had good luck there. But you're right, store-bought bacon has added sugar, probably acts as a kind of preservative.
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •