Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sugar-free nitrate-free bacon? Does it exist? page 2

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Beware, even if packages say they don't add nitrates and nitrites they still might, cloaked in the "natural flavoring" ingredients. Stay away from all processed meats if you think your husband is sensitive to the nitrates and/or nitrites in them.

Check out Weston A Price Fall letters 2006 about Methaemoglobinaemia Letters, Fall 2006

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I don't know where you live in Atlanta, but Whole Foods in Marietta (Harry's) carries local bacon that is nitrite-free. It does have sugar, but it is in a very small amount. Also, Applegate Farms has nitrite-free bacon (they use celery juice which creates nitrites, but not the same as the chemical process, from what I understand.) Their bacon contains sugar, but the amount is miniscule.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    From what I hear, the side pork fries up kind of gray because it's uncured -- tastes fine, but don't be dismayed by the color.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    You can buy Berkshire pork belly at the dekalb farmers market. Do a wet or dry rub of salt and spices for a few days (google for recipes), then slice and fry. Since you aren't using nitrates, it probably won't keep the red coloring, but it should taste pretty good. Also it won't keep long like nitrated bacon.

For the record I haven't done this myself, but have read about it and it's on my list of projects
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

jkak is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
    My husband won't eat sugared bacon due to colitis, but all the nitrate-free bacon options have sugar in them. Is there a sugar-free nitrate-free brand I can order online or something? I can't seem to find one in Atlanta. He is ok with honey but can't find that either, only sugar.

Gourmet Bacon from Kreilich Farm Storefront has a great no sugar nitrate/nitrite free bacon

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    We buy bacon from US Wellness Meats. No sugar, and no added nitrates/nitrites. Just pork and salt.

It's really great bacon.

Oh, and they have other sugar-free options

drheather is offline Senior Member
    +1 for US Wellness. Great nitrate-free, sugar-free bacon. They have both pork and beef.

jkak is offline Junior Member
    I used to buy from them. But Kreillich farm has better quality I have found.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just buy pork belly?

I have a couple of local farmers who sell bacon that is smoked, but uses no nitrates or sugar.

Check eatwild.com for farmers who might be close to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast