Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does my urine smell so strong? (like after eating asparagus) page

danandvicky is offline Member

Why does my urine smell so strong? (like after eating asparagus)

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating paleo or primal for about 2 weeks now and the results are great. I have lost around 8cm around both the waist and hips (my only measurements). I dont know how much i weigh now or before i started but my clothes fit better! My only problem is that my urine has changed colour(it was quite light and has changed to strong yellow) and is very strong smelling.
    Sample intake of everything i put in my body including supplements:

Upon waking - broad spectrum probiotic, water 300ml
    30 minutes later - mixed vegetables(100 grams) sauteed in coconut oil finished off with three whole eggs to make a frittata or omelette type thing. With breakfast i take 2 coq10 50mg, 1 glutathione (reduced) 50mg, 1 complete b complex, 1 NAC 400mg / ALA 200mg and about 10ml of strong fish oil.
    10 mins later - cup of red bush tea with coconut milk , 400ml

Lunch - 200g cold meat (cooked myself - no processed stuff - usually some slow roasted sirloin) with spinach, watercress and roquet mixture, onions, cucumber, tomatoe, capsicum etc. Topped with about 10ml of olive oil,lemon and garlic dressing (homemade), water 400ml

Mid after noon - maybe another red bush tea with a touch of lemon and a tiny amount of honey (i know but i have almost gotten rid of fructose completely - dont judge me!)

Dinner - Sardines/ Rib eye steak/ homemade paleo patties with some steamed veggies. Water 300ml, red bush tea again with 2 more coq10 and 2 vit d , calcium and magnesium complexes to aid good sleep.

I sometimes snack on berries or some almond butter.

I am 32 yrs old, male and work around 30 hours a week in a physically undemanding job. I am stood but no heavy labour. I sleep 8 - 9.5 hrs a night am in a loving relationship and am quite unstressed apart from waiting on a visa decision to emigrate from the dying uk to the vibrant healthy antipodes.

I have a few inklings as to what it is but can anyone tell me if this is dangerous?

I am aware that i am not drinking a lot

Newtoitall is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danandvicky View Post
    I have been eating paleo or primal for about 2 weeks now and the results are great. I have lost around 8cm around both the waist and hips (my only measurements). I dont know how much i weigh now or before i started but my clothes fit better! My only problem is that my urine has changed colour(it was quite light and has changed to strong yellow) and is very strong smelling.
    Sample intake of everything i put in my body including supplements:

Upon waking - broad spectrum probiotic, water 300ml
    30 minutes later - mixed vegetables(100 grams) sauteed in coconut oil finished off with three whole eggs to make a frittata or omelette type thing. With breakfast i take 2 coq10 50mg, 1 glutathione (reduced) 50mg, 1 complete b complex, 1 NAC 400mg / ALA 200mg and about 10ml of strong fish oil.
    10 mins later - cup of red bush tea with coconut milk , 400ml

Lunch - 200g cold meat (cooked myself - no processed stuff - usually some slow roasted sirloin) with spinach, watercress and roquet mixture, onions, cucumber, tomatoe, capsicum etc. Topped with about 10ml of olive oil,lemon and garlic dressing (homemade), water 400ml

Mid after noon - maybe another red bush tea with a touch of lemon and a tiny amount of honey (i know but i have almost gotten rid of fructose completely - dont judge me!)

Dinner - Sardines/ Rib eye steak/ homemade paleo patties with some steamed veggies. Water 300ml, red bush tea again with 2 more coq10 and 2 vit d , calcium and magnesium complexes to aid good sleep.

I sometimes snack on berries or some almond butter.

I am 32 yrs old, male and work around 30 hours a week in a physically undemanding job. I am stood but no heavy labour. I sleep 8 - 9.5 hrs a night am in a loving relationship and am quite unstressed apart from waiting on a visa decision to emigrate from the dying uk to the vibrant healthy antipodes.

I have a few inklings as to what it is but can anyone tell me if this is dangerous?

I am aware that i am not drinking a lot
    your urine will be that colour from no drinking a lot and taking the supplements the fish oil does that to me too..love Dee x

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    Constipation can cause this. The toxins that have been re-absorbed into the bloodstream, through the intestinal walls, are filtered by the kidneys and passed in the urine.

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Well, as for asparagus, I had looked it up recently after wondering forever why. Something in asparagus causes many people's urine to have a strong odor. As for color, a brighter yellow can be from too many B vitamins. Your body just naturally gets rid of some of them instead of storing them. They come out brighter yellow. Deep yellow is more likely a hydration issue. And for stronger odor, not in conjunction with asparagus, it may be ketosis.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

danandvicky is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I had guessed it was the b vits and ketosis but i hadnt heard anything similar from anyone else so thought there must be something wrong with me regarding the strong smell. Has anyone else experienced a strong smell in their urine during ketosis? also my breath doesnt smell sweet which i have heard is a good indicator of ketosis.

Also, yesterday my wife and i had our first cheat day in which we had quite a big fruit bowl covered in coconut milk and homemade fish and chips using almond meal to crumb the fish and sweet potato wedges roasted in goose fat. My urine doesnt smell this morning! Probably as i have come out of Ketosis?

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    The bright yellow colour is from your B vitamins, the smell is mostly likely from the ALA (it gives a similar smell to asparagus pee). Nothing to worry about really. Just make sure you are sufficiently hydrated.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    I was curious about the same thing, but a little too scared to ask, so thank you! My pee has always been really light yellow with no smell at all (probably coz I drink around 4 litres of water daily). But since starting PB, even though I am still drinking all the water, the smell, is really strong. Not pleasant at all

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danandvicky View Post
    Probably as i have come out of Ketosis?
    Exactly. When I first went primal, I ate as you are, pretty much zero carb. The same thing happened, even if I drank lots of water and peed my brains out. A quick search on the web exposed the connection between ketosis and smelly urine.

If you're not trying to lose weight, I'd add around 100g of safe starches to your diet. Sweet potato, white potato(peeled), white rice, starchy root vegetables, etc. I feel a lot better eating a moderate amount of carbs and there are some potential health risks to a VLC diet. Either way, try to keep carbs plus protein in excess of 150g to provide the minimum fuel to run your nervous system without your body having to break down muscle tissue.

Gordo

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    I quickly glanced through your menu from your first post. With just a quick look it appears to me that you have definitely achieved Ketosis with your diet.And this is not a bad thing! Eating a ketogenic diet will ensure you are burning your bodyfat and any excess fat you get in your diet.Also, it will prohibit your body from living off of glucose primarily (you will be burning ketones from your body fat and dietary fat).So you will no longer be a slave to insulin spikes and hunger pains from eating carbs.The "down side" of eating this way is you will go through carb flu as you withdraw from eating carbs. Some people get a feeling of flu-like symptoms for anywhere from 3 days to 1 month. It varies with each person. Also, the smell you describe in your urine IS ketones.That is your body excreting the excess ketones it doesn't need.You may or may not excrete them through your breath too. This varies per person. As for eating a ketogenic diet long term, there are currently NO studies that say it is harmful. I personally have been eating this way for 11 weeks now and have lost 25 lbs.I feel great! Just be sure you drink no less than 2L of water per day to flush
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    As for eating a ketogenic diet long term, there are currently NO studies that say it is harmful.
    Maybe. But if you do it wrong, you can eff yourself up good. There is little safety margin with VLC diets. Better know exactly what you're doing and why. Mild ketosis is a LOT safer. Staying near the threshold and going into ketosis periodically may be even better.

Perfect Health Diet Ketogenic Diets 2: Preventing Muscle and Bone Loss on Ketogenic Diets
    Perfect Health Diet Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, IV: Kidney Stones
    Perfect Health Diet Danger of Zero-Carb Diets III: Scurvy
    Perfect Health Diet Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, II: Mucus Deficiency and Gastrointestinal Cancers
    Perfect Health Diet Dangers of Zero-Carb Diets, I: Can There Be a Carbohydrate Deficiency?
    Perfect Health Diet Ketogenic Diets, I: Ways to Make a Diet Ketogenic

Gordo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast