Thread: blood test results - value of a non-fasting insulin level? +iron/ferritin page

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member

blood test results - value of a non-fasting insulin level? +iron/ferritin

Primal Fuel
    Got some blood test results back.

Non-fasting glucose - 94
    non-fasting insulin - 27.7

The doctor knew that I wasn't fasting but for some reason the range given was the fasting range, 0-17.2. When I was diagnosed with insulin resistance 4+ years ago my fasting insulin was 29. More recent fasting insulin levels have been 15 and 8. Does non-fasting insulin mean anything? This blood test was done a few hours after eating a breakfast of fried eggs, cabbage, and sweet potato I believe. How high should insulin levels really go after eating?

TSH - 1.41

HA1c - 4.8%

Iron 54 (range 30-160)
    TIBC 372 (range 140-530)
    UIBC 318 (range 110-370)
    iron-% SAT 15% LOW (range 20-55)

Ferritin 30 (range 14-283)

Technically ferritin is now normal... it was a measly 8 in January, and I've been taking iron supps since. It needs to get to at least 80 for hair regrowth though. So I think that means that ferritin increased from 8 to 30 in 5.5 weeks. Is that a good rate of increase?

Bumpity bump... I would really appreciate feedback. There's not much out there on non-fasting insulin levels.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I think, it's important to know what, "a few hours after eating" actually means.I would also wonder and ask the doctor what he/she hoped to learn from non-fasting levels.

My take is, your body continues to release more insulin than is normal in response to eating. It may have been the carbs from the sweet potato.

Ok I looked back at my journal from that day. At 9:30am I ate two eggs fried in bacon grease, two slices of bacon, and a small baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon. At 2:30pm I actually ate a mixture of spaghetti squash/ground beef/tomato sauce. And got blood drawn at 4pm. So the results are actually between 1- and 2-hour postprandial... given that window, the glucose level seems good. But not the insulin levels... I know spaghetti squash is also starchy. Or does it not matter if insulin levels come down to levels like 15 and 8 a few hours after that?

I should probably cut out the starch, huh? Especially because although my backfat is slowly disappearing and my arms and legs have more definition, the belly is still there (although it, too, seems a little smaller? I'm not sure). But I'm afraid to go VLC because I don't want my hair to fall out (again), and I don't want to have rebound weight gain after adding carbs back in (because no way am I going to live the rest of my life without sweet potatoes, fruit, or some white rice), so I've been trying to stick to between 50-100g a day.

I also haven't had my period in two months, after four months of nearly nonstop bleeding from September-December. But I'm glad for it, since it means I'm losing less iron. I wonder if I haven't had my period because my body realizes that it needs nutrient repletion or something??

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Your numbers look my sister's. She is very insulin resistant. I have tried to tell her that her glucose numbers give a false sense of security because her body is overcompensating with insulin.

I am not a fan of VLC. While it can be helpful in the short term, going below 50grams of carbs/day, long term, can disrupt thyroid function.

I do think eating less starch is beneficial until fasting insulin is well within normal levels. And, from what I have read, anything 10+ for fasting insulin equates to insulin resistance. Optimal fasting level equals 5 or less.

As to your period I can't relate. I'm a lot older and still have very regular periods. This is in the face of undetectable estradiol levels.

I would suggest testing the following , if your periods are problematic:
    1. Estradiol on day 14 of cycle
    2. Progesterone on day 21-25 of cycle
    3. Testosterone

And, again, i would want to know what my doctor hoped to learn from testing non-fating glucose and insulin levels