Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help interpreting thyroid #'s page

hannahm34 is offline Member

Question Need help interpreting thyroid #'s

Have not been able to lose weight despite a 1200-1300 calorie diet of mostly primal. Had a baby in August and have not moved a pound since the initial hospital weight loss.

TSH 2.45
    Free T4 1.41
    Total T3 67

They said I am normal. I know something is NOT right!! Does anyone have any info for me on my numbers??? Could they be causing me problems??

Thanks in advance.

Some more info to add.....

I lift weights 3x a week and walk 3 miles daily. This is really frustrating and anybody who can help me that may have experience with this, I would be very grateful! According to what
    i've found, my T3 is completely out of the normal range.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A low calorie, high-exercise diet? I would be more interested in your cortisol levels! What are you doing that for? Have you read the book?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

No. But my something is so messed up that I think I would gain if I ate more. Any suggestions?? Do you know if my T3 is off?

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Reference ranges please.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Your T3 is low. So yeah you properly have thyroid issues. But that just begs the question: why? I think it might have to do with a low calorie diet, stress, and all that follows from such a lifestyle. Why not start a journal over in the journals section and give some detailed information about what you're doing. Then people will respond. It's a sweet deal
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Adrenal fatigue
    The website I linked is a really good resource to start with in regards to Thyroid and Adrenals.
    I can relate with what you are going through, I had the same issue after both of my children were born. I was eating usually around 1000 cal/per, walking 2-3 miles everyday, breastfeeding and I couldn't lose any weight at all. All my tests came back normal (except magnesium which tested low. You might want to get that checked too) I was also getting little to no sleep and had a fairly demanding baby.
    I had full blown adrenal fatigue and I had no clue.
    I second the journal recommendation. It really helps to have someplace to journal your eating, activity, mood even.
    Good luck hannahm34
    Calm the f**k down.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Get to an endocrinologist that knows what adrenal fatigue is. Many won't pay attention.

There are a lot of other things that are hormone related that can make TSH unreliable. A lot of docs don't like to hear that because it is not what they learned in med school and they don't keep up!

I had docs that only focused on TSH and this was a complete waste of time. It was adrenal fatigue.

If you are eating low cal and still having trouble losing, you also want to know what reverse T3 (rT3) is. That is the hormone that slows your metabolism down when you are starving. If the ratio of rT3 to T3 is high, your metabolism can slow by as much as 40%.

I will for sure start journaling!

Metismomma: I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue about a year and a half ago (right before my pregnancy) I was told to stop all exercise and just walk. I was put on some adrenal balance pills, travacid x, and one other pill that promotes good gut bacteria. I was told that following that protocol I should get better (it was stage 3) and if I feel needed, to check again after pregnancy. My baby is 7 months old now. I lost an initial 20 pounds after I had her but haven't moved a pound since. I did a round of p90x (nothing), am now doing turbulence training, which is weighlifting 3x a week only for about 25 min. I don't know how I could be back in adrenal fatigue with just weightlifting and walking, but I must be. I know the cals are low, but that is my last hope to shed some pounds. I truly believe if I ate more I would balloon due to the sluggish thyroid. What helped you?? I have been supplementing with a ton of vit c and vit b as well as coconut oil daily.

Stabby: Do you really think just walking daily and a 25 min weight session is over-exercising??? I guess maybe I could be overdoing it. And if so.....I have been WAY overexercising the last 6-7 years prior to this, because I used to do MUCH more. I read in a very old thread some advice you gave to someone about losing fat. It had something to do with eating salmon most days, getting in a lot of fat, and supplementing with gelatin (fiber). Do you think it would be wise if I tried to eat this way for awhile? Do you think that would help?? You seem like you you know a lot, so your advice is greatly appreciated!

DFH: I am looking into finding a good practitioner. The one doc that ran my labs was crazy. Told me straight out that I'm fine and that if I had to eat 1300 cals for the rest of my life just to not gain weight, then that would be what I would have to do. All he could say is that I was a healthy BMI and that I eat right and exercise so I am better than 90% of Americans. He even suggested I do MORE CARDIO such as elliptical and running if I wanted to get more weight off.
    The T3 that was run was total T3. Does that number not mean anything without the reverse T3???
    I'm hoping that I can fix this adrenal/thyroid issue. I have been working on lowering stress (which is no where near is bad as it used to be), eating fully primal, and just moderately exercising. What helped you with your adrenal fatigue? Are you fully recovered???

Thanks

ittybitty is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Total T3 means nothing. You should get FREE T3, reverse T3, & thyroid antibodies. (in addition to checking cortisol levels).
    Vitamin D would be good to check as well.
    If you are still eating any gluten you should try eliminating it completely.
    TSH means nothing without doing the other thyroid/adrenal tests.
    Last edited by ittybitty; 03-19-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast