Thread: Weighted Vests Q page

profdjj is offline Senior Member

Weighted Vests Q

Primal Fuel
    I love the concept of a weighted vest and would like to use one while walking but does that go outside the Primal recommendations of "moving slowly"? I walk my dogs about 2.5 miles a day and part of me thinks that the weighted vest would make it more challenging, but is it good to be challenged while walking/moving slowly?

I'm asking this because I don't have the ability to down-regulate when it comes to exercise. My brain is constantly telling me to push-push-push.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I walk my dogs with a weighted vest all the time. Its solid resistance training. Just don't go from zero to 50 pounds at once. Work your way up in 2.5-5 pound increments over time. For walking, going up to 20% body weight is a good place to think about stopping. For impact sports lke running and hiking, I would not go over 15% body weight. A lot of the resaerch studies usually cap the weight at 10%.

I have the v-force vest from weightvest.com , it is the best one on the market. And when you buy the best, you only cry once. When you pay the bill.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If it's just walking, I suppose putting a few heavy books in a backpack would accomplish the same goal. I think you really only need a weighted vest to do unstable things like handstand pushups. For weighted pushups, I just fill my little backpack with towels and weights, cinch it up tight and go to town.

Balance is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If it's just walking, I suppose putting a few heavy books in a backpack would accomplish the same goal. I think you really only need a weighted vest to do unstable things like handstand pushups. For weighted pushups, I just fill my little backpack with towels and weights, cinch it up tight and go to town.
    This is a great suggestion. Plus it looks a lot more natural walking with a back pack than walking around with a weighted vest which is sure to garner stares and questions from passers by. With a backpack you have extra room to put your water/cell phone and snacks for the dogs.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    This is a great suggestion. Plus it looks a lot more natural walking with a back pack than walking around with a weighted vest which is sure to garner stares and questions from passers by. With a backpack you have extra room to put your water/cell phone and snacks for the dogs.
    Yeah, I look like I'm running in a bullet proof vest and get some funny looks with my weight vest on. However I disagree that it is un-natural. The vest is snug and form fitting, unlike a backpack. I am so much more stable in a vest than with a heavy pack on. I need a lot of stability as I am trail running and climbing over trees and boulders in my mov-nat style workouts. My vest has a hydration add-on reservior that also has a pocket for my phone. I keep the doggie treats and poop clean-up bags in one of the empty weight bar slots up front.
    Last edited by Karma; 03-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Balance is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Yeah, I look like I'm running in a bullet proof vest and get some funny looks with my weight vest on. However I disagree that it is un-natural. The vest is snug and form fitting, unlike a backpack. I am so much more stable in a vest than with a heavy pack on. I need a lot of stability as I am trail running and climbing over trees and boulders in my mov-nat style workouts. My vest has a hydration add-on reservior that also has a pocket for my phone. I keep the doggie treats and poop clean-up bags in one of the empty weight bar slots up front.
    I agree for you that a weighted vest probably works out better because you are not only walking in it. But the OP says she would be using it to walk her dogs and in my opinion a backpack will do the job just as well and she can save a little bit of money if she has an old backpack lying around the house.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I have a weightvest.com one... bought it on "clearance". It's worth it if you're going to use it... buy it once and forget about it.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have this : Strength Weighted Vest & Shorts

hugs your body like a glove, but it is difficult to swap the weights in and out.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe