Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for daily IFers page

RezH is offline Senior Member

Questions for daily IFers

Primal Fuel
    Have started a regimen of a daily 15-20 hour IF, coupled with some calorie counting (don't mind doing it). Goal is to lose 3-4% BF. Currently 162 lb (male), probably 12% BF.

Do daily IFers find it too easy to still eat the same amount of calories you did prior to IFing? It's not that difficult to meet my daily requirement when including coconut milk and heavy cream.

Where is the best calculator to determine daily caloric needs? They all seem to be slightly different. I generally cycle between 2400-3000 calories daily depending on that day's workout (3-4 times per week). Workouts are heavy barbell lifting, mixed with kettlebells for conditioning. Daily walks.

I'm going to be logging my weight, IF hours, and calories daily. I've been Primal for a year, and have not dropped much BF. I'm hoping that to reach my goal, I need to be a bit more precise.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't track my calories, but i do check them about once or month or so just out of curiosity. eating two meals in a 6-8 hour eating window i find that i can eat the same amount of calories at about 70%+ fat. i think in general though i'm eating less than i would eating more often...though that is largely dependent upon what i'm eating. i eat way differently in the winter than i do in the summer.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Generally, within my 3-8 hr eating window (I don't eat breakfast, I may or may not eat lunch,) I can take in as much as I calorically need. Even with only one meal, I can easily get my 900- 2000 calories (my body naturally cycles on a 2-3 days low calorie [600-900], 1-2 day high calorie [1800-2300.]) As to caloric needs, I wouldn't worry too much abt calculators. Even the most perfect ones are wrong. Close, usually, but wrong for YOUR body, because it's made with a theoretical body in mind ("assume a spherical cow..."). Stick with what you're doing. If your body needs more calories, it'll let you know.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I think I eat more now I'm IFing.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I am not a calorie tracker but am a daily IFer. I find it fairy easy to get the proper nutrition that I need and to maintain a single digit BF percentage with two meals a day on average using the lean gains style eating window. My diet is low carb, high protein, moderate fat with some carb cycling and it works very well for me.

Here is a basic caloric requirement calculator if you're into that sort of thing.
    Calorie Restriction Diet Calculator - CRON Calculator, CR calculator

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    I eat once a day (1 hour window) and its in the ball park of the amount I ate before IFing. I will eat twice a day a couple times a week for social occasions or if hunger happens to dictate (unscheduled). I do like eating, but I really, really like 20-24 hours of fasting. I'll eat at noon and then not until noon the next day; or at 2PM and then 11AM on the following. Its sort of playful and random for me, but always with a super nice chunk of time between the meals and almost always with the meal not being at either time extreme (neither early morn or midnight).

I agree with the above of others: no need to count (while it can be fun and interesting) -- but your body will do all the figuring for you.

I'm pretty green when it comes to daily fasting (been about a month) but so far, so good.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I like that calculator. 2600 cals for maintenance, which is probably what I average over time. So I'm guessing that IF or no IF, that average must drop.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    I eat once a day (1 hour window) and its in the ball park of the amount I ate before IFing. I will eat twice a day a couple times a week for social occasions or if hunger happens to dictate (unscheduled). I do like eating, but I really, really like 20-24 hours of fasting. I'll eat at noon and then not until noon the next day; or at 2PM and then 11AM on the following. Its sort of playful and random for me, but always with a super nice chunk of time between the meals and almost always with the meal not being at either time extreme (neither early morn or midnight).

I agree with the above of others: no need to count (while it can be fun and interesting) -- but your body will do all the figuring for you.

I'm pretty green when it comes to daily fasting (been about a month) but so far, so good.
    I'd be interested in what a typical meal looks like for you. I would like to try one meal per day but find it hard to come up with enough calories. Thank you.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I IF 16-22 hours at least 4 days a week, and often 5-6 days. I don't have any problem consuming plenty of fuel in a condensed eating window -- I just have big meals with plenty of fat and protein.

I usually re-feed a bit over the weekend -- NOT on junk food, just on more food than I typically consume during the week. Maybe re-feed is the wrong word, since I'm also very active all day on weekends, whereas weekdays are spent mostly at my office.

I maintain low BF easily on this program, which isn't really a "program" because it has come to me quite naturally after 18+ months of paleo eating. Nothing about it feels forced or uncomfortable.

Not a calorie counter, so can't help there.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Do daily IFers find it too easy to still eat the same amount of calories you did prior to IFing?
    I did until I dropped a meal. I now IF LeanSaloon-style, eating only 2 meals in an 8 hour eating window---noon to 8, so far. I dropped more this week by eating to satiety (not gorging) during my eating window, than I did when I was IFing and eating 3 meals a day. Calorie deficit is crucial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast