Thread: Fasting after Lifting-Bad Idea? page

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member

Fasting after Lifting-Bad Idea?

Shop Now
    Hi All, I was planning on fasting today, and have been so far, but I forgot about the fasting when I worked out pretty hard this morning. Now I'm wondering if I'm doing my muscles a disservice by starving them right after working them so hard. Any thoughts?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No, it's fine, unless you're a bodybuilder. You're not starving your muscles.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't think this is going to be a problem. grok would have had occasions where he had to work hard and still give up his food for the day. however, that only means that nothing will go wrong. if you're not replenishing your muscles, they may not recover as quickly. i don't it's anything to worry about though.

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys. I think my stomach was just thinking of reasons to be filled, lol.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I think that fasted training is good thing and I've gotten so that I'd rather workout in a fasted state than an unfasted one. Half the time I eat afterwards and half I don't. Your muscles will be just fine.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKATTO71 View Post
    Thanks guys. I think my stomach was just thinking of reasons to be filled, lol.
    Well, actually, its your body wanting to replenish its stores. If you are eating VLC or LC and working out with resistance training...then some of the lactic acid built up from the weight training in your muscles will gets recycled back into glycogen to be stored once again for use as energy for more exercise. But doing this takes work for your body which requires energy.
    After you lift....what do you think you are in the most short supply of physically? Energy.

So, its your body trying to tell you that you are running low on gas. But everyone's "empty" set points are higher/lower than others. And you do have more energy (i.e. body fat) at your bodies disposal...its just that it takes a different pathway for the body to metabolize that energy. And its using glycogen in the muscles during exercise...(as well as body fat). So, it wants to replenish that lost glycogen.

Bottom line is you wont die....much to the chagrin of all the protein powder and supplement people selling their crap out there in the world.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix