Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Muscle After Extended Downtime page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Rebuilding Muscle After Extended Downtime

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So recently I had an ACL replacement in my right now and I am about a month and a half into my downtime with another 3 months to go until I'm allowed to really do anything with my legs.

I was told that I can maybe start doing upper body stuff in a week or so.

I have lost quite a bit of muscle mass in both my upper and lower body over these past few weeks and would like to put it back on as quickly as possible.

Besides adding Milk/Dairy to my diet, what else can I do to aid in rebuilding mass more quickly? I have heard that it comes back quickly once you've had it, but I don't know if that is true or not, honestly.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is very true that it comes back quickly. In a matter of a few weeks you'll be near or at where you previously were. Don't even stress over it. Obviously you'll need to keep the legs out of it. But you can do seated presses, bench presses, pulldowns, rows. These will all build you back up quickly.

You know, you bring up a good point, Forever Young.

My gym membership is to a crossfit gym where we have no machines or anything like that. What we do have is dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells, rings, and other gymnastic equipment.

Can any of you guys recommend me some good lifts to work on that won't involve me standing on my legs? All I've ever done is 100% olympic lifting, I've never done anything else. I am kind of feeling at a loss as to where to start and what I can do that won't engage the leg at all.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Rope climbs.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I've heard it called "muscle recall". I've found that when I first come back to working out after a break I make steady and impressive gains until I get somewhat close to the strongest I have been. The progress in getting to or exceeding my personal best gets a lot slower and requires consistent hard work. I have been still been a bit stronger than I am now on bench stuff, but I wasn't nearly as light as I am now. My strength to weight ratio is already the best it's ever been.

Most likely the mass that you lost over the last few weeks will be easy to regain with a little work and I wish you a speedy recovery.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you don’t just get all jolly fat thanks to the extra milk calories man. I don’t think milk just BUILDS up muscle like that, it’s just a way to get more calories in but since you won’t be working out as intensely maybe it could have an adverse effect (too much body fat) if that’s not a concern then have at it but I think you could just do meat and veggies, throw some butter on and stuff like that.

As far as lifting I really don’t know how little of your leg you’re supposed to use, but I would use my crutches and crip-walk my ass to the nearest pull up bar, dip bar and just do dips and pull ups. Biased, cus those are some of my favorite exercises, but you get the point. Work them heavy if you’re doing 10+ reps unweighted.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Make sure you don’t just get all jolly fat thanks to the extra milk calories man. I don’t think milk just BUILDS up muscle like that, it’s just a way to get more calories in but since you won’t be working out as intensely maybe it could have an adverse effect (too much body fat) if that’s not a concern then have at it but I think you could just do meat and veggies, throw some butter on and stuff like that.

As far as lifting I really don’t know how little of your leg you’re supposed to use, but I would use my crutches and crip-walk my ass to the nearest pull up bar, dip bar and just do dips and pull ups. Biased, cus those are some of my favorite exercises, but you get the point. Work them heavy if you’re doing 10+ reps unweighted.
    Yeah I have started doing pullups and one legged pushups at home, as I am not supposed to be *any* weight on the leg at all. I figure those are good for now but I know there are probably some weighted movements I can throw in too. I wish I knew more about lifting outside of Olympic Lifts, lol.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i had the stitches from my knee surgery out three weeks ago (partial meniscectomy...not as serious as yours) and already i've progressed beyond the point i was at before my injury. i'm doing PBF without the leg work...adding an explosive round helped a lot. i've also been focusing on extra upper body work, but all bodyweight exercises, and i feel like i'm getting stronger. there's definitely plenty to do without getting under the bar.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Exercise & Muscle Directory

muscle memory: you has it. you'll be back in no time.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Make sure you don’t just get all jolly fat thanks to the extra milk calories man. I don’t think milk just BUILDS up muscle like that, it’s just a way to get more calories in but since you won’t be working out as intensely maybe it could have an adverse effect (too much body fat)
    +1
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast