Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to start drinking milk. What do I look for? page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

I want to start drinking milk. What do I look for?

Primal Fuel
    I just recently had an ACL replacement done on one of my knees and so far I have lost noticeable muscle mass in both my upper body and my injured leg during this ridiculously long and excruciating downtime.

Dairy and especially milk have shown time and time again to have a large and noticeable effect on building muscle mass. I have never been much of a milk drinker even before going primal, but I'd like to give it a go when I'm allowed to start lifting weights again to hopefully start putting this muscle back on fairly quickly.

My problem is that I do not know what I should be looking for when I go to buy this stuff. I do not have access to raw milk from a happy farmer, it would take hours to get anywhere that I could acquire that. So, what specifics should I be looking for when I start browsing the milk aisle?

Also I just want to throw this in because I don't want to debate it here... I am going to drink milk because:
    1) I am not insulin resistant
    2) I am not lactose intolerant

Thanks!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Obviously raw would be the absolute best but you've explained that it's not an option where you live.

I would then drink only organic whole milk. At least it's not from cows injected with hormones. Stay away from the conventional stuff at all cost.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Can you get organic? Or milk from pastured cows? I thought you guys could buy raw milk from stores in the US, or is that just in certain states? I get raw milk delivered, but here in Oz they have to sell it as Bath milk... yeah, at $4 a litre I'm gonna wash my pits in it!

Seriously though, I would look for Un-homogenised if you can get it, organic if you can afford it and grass-fed if it's available.

Good luck recovering from your surgery.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    It is only available/legal in certain states here and very few of them at that. Fotunately here in Pennsylvania it is legal.

I don't drink much milk but it's nice to know I can get the raw stuff if I want it.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don’t straight up drink milk but I buy land o lakes half and half it’s just cream and milk as ingredients… but I think someone said it’s like pasteurized by the devil and I shouldn’t drink it but since I only add it to coffee a few times a week I don’t sweat it.

Whole foods should have something grassfed/pastured. I know TJ’s doesn’t, at least not in my area.

Organic is probably the only thing I'll find around here, I was wondering if there was anything else they hide in this stuff I should be on the lookout for, but if its just organic than that's easy enough

spascarella is offline Member
    Pensacola: Ever'Man Natural Foods, 315 West Garden Street Pensacola, Florida 32502. For more information call, (850) 438-0402, email info@everman.org or visit their website at natural food pensacola, organic food pensacola - Ever'man. Milk is Paw Paw's Raw Milk.

Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If I were to start drinking milk, it would be whole goat's milk, as that is the only whole milk I can find. You might try that. I hear it's easier for humans to digest.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked your wholefoods type store? I can get pasturized but NOT homogenized milk at mine. According to some, homogenization is bad evil. (I make no opinion). It is hellaciously expensive though.

Here you can buy raw milk directly from a farmer but it can not be sold in a store.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by spascarella View Post
    Pensacola: Ever'Man Natural Foods, 315 West Garden Street Pensacola, Florida 32502. For more information call, (850) 438-0402, email info@everman.org or visit their website at natural food pensacola, organic food pensacola - Ever'man. Milk is Paw Paw's Raw Milk.

Where Can I Find Real (Raw) Milk?
    Haha yeah I saw this exact same thing and when I went to the store I was told it was illegal for them to sell it and they didn't have it. Annoooyyiiing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast