Thread: Indian restaurant - shock horror! page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Indian restaurant - shock horror!

Primal Fuel
    Hi. We went to an Indian Restaurant in Guildford Surrey UK yesterday evening - it is supposed to be one of the better (i.e.more authentic) restaurants, though so many of the restaurants in the area seem to be owned by one big extended family!!

Anyway, ordered the wine, ordered the food - and just as we were handing back the menus I noticed on the last page a proud little statement

"all the foods in this menu are cooked using GM soy oil"

My heart sank - how much harm, I wondered, will GM soy oil cause??? Whatever happened to Ghee?

Upshot was, we ate the curry (which was extremely good, I have to say) but won't be going back - and probably not to ANY Indian restaurant in the area. How do I find out if this is general policy in the entire UK????!!

Breakfast today - Salmon of course.

Viking is offline Senior Member
    I have had similar disappointments. I love Indian food, although much of it is non-PB high-carb stuff like nan and garbanzo beans. But you can eat many foods cooked in coconut oil or ghee as long as the fat is not TOO ridiculously high.

I recommend you speak with the proprietor of the restaurant and ask how much of a hassle it would be for them to cook your order in ghee or coconut oil vs. whatever PUFA oil. I think it might cost you a little more but they will be willing to adjust for you; you might be surprised -- take the chance. There is no practical way to balance against the huge amount of PUFA in a Indian meal (by adding big fish oil) if they are cooking in soy or another non-PB oil, since total PUFA should optimally be minimized. So I am told.

**EDIT** - I missed breadsauce's concern re. GM foods.....personally I am less impressed with the risks from that as the risks from PUFA-laden omega-6-heavy snacks in the typical American diet over time. Worry about getting more omega-3 and less omega-6, until balanced, and don't worry so much about GM. Others may disagree but clarify with them re. actual risks from GM
    Last edited by Viking; 03-18-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I also am for talking to the owner. If they're unwilling to cook for you the way you want, just thank them for the lovely food and service in the past, but explain why you won't be back. If they're going to lose a customer, they should at least know why. Most business owners appreciate having some sort of gauge on their customers opinions.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    This is why I was saying on the other thread about Indian restaurants that people shouldn't assume that the recipes are made with traditional fats like cream and ghee, when soybean and corn oil are so much cheaper.

OP - I think it depends on how often you go out to eat. If it's just once in a while and vegetable oils don't irritate any healthy issues, you could make it part of your 20%. It's definitely worth asking whether they can cook in ghee for you though. Or maybe you can go for dishes that don't use as much oil? e.g. not curries but something from the tandoor

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    I work for a seafood maufacturer and sell to foodservice customers. Most restaurants will try to use the most cost effective ingredients as possible. These are usually non-organic CW stuff. They generally prep most of their entrees before hand so they can fire that meal in twenty minutes. My advice, relax and enjoy a meal you don't have to prepare and try to order something primal. The sun will rise again tomorrow.