Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to O-lift page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Learning to O-lift

I think the thread title about says it all. I am wondering how to go about learning the Olympic lifts (and there variations I suppose). Right now I am doing starting strength and I am planning ahead for when I finish that program.

As best I can figure the best course of action would be to find a decent PT who knows how to teach the O-lifts and hire him?

Secondly, is a certain level of strength advisable before starting? If so, what?

Thirdly, are there any things I could work on before starting that will be of benefit (i.e wrist flexibility)?

gunn parker is offline Senior Member
    Hi
    I just started crossfit and it covers a lot of O lifts. Why not try out a cross fit class near you?
    Cross Fit Boxes Aust

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I'd second that. CrossFit is probably the best place to learn them at the moment. As for PTs in your gym, good luck :-).

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I am not interested in cross fit classes, but I may join a cross fit gym and see if I can just learn the O-lifts. I was thinking of joining a better gym anyway if necessary.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    the cross fit gym near me has an intro class that is required where all they do is the O lifts.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    As best I can figure the best course of action would be to find a decent PT who knows how to teach the O-lifts and hire him?

Secondly, is a certain level of strength advisable before starting? If so, what?

Thirdly, are there any things I could work on before starting that will be of benefit (i.e wrist flexibility)?
    I agree that you should try to find a trainer who can teach these lifts. However, most trainers don't know how to do O-lifting, so be very selective.

I like your idea to start working on your flexibility in preparation. Most men (myself included) cannot perform a proper barbell snatch due to tight shoulders and upper back, while wrist flexibility is important for learning barbell cleans.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Unless you are competing in O-lifts there is no point in learning them. Which is why there are few PT who know how to teach them. O-lifts are a highly specific skill that needs to be taught by a coach. If you are looking to gain strenght there are better more effecient ways of gaining strength. Also, learning O-lifts at a cross-fit box would be like learning Karate at a McDojo that hands out black belts to eight year olds.

But if you really really need to...

Glenn Pendlay Olympic Technique DVD - Product Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Greg Everett’s Olympic Weightlifting A Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches - Product Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

PrimalMouse is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Unless you are competing in O-lifts there is no point in learning them. Which is why there are few PT who know how to teach them. O-lifts are a highly specific skill that needs to be taught by a coach. If you are looking to gain strenght there are better more effecient ways of gaining strength. Also, learning O-lifts at a cross-fit box would be like learning Karate at a McDojo that hands out black belts to eight year olds.

But if you really really need to...

Glenn Pendlay Olympic Technique DVD - Product Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Greg Everett’s Olympic Weightlifting A Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches - Product Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Actually, brosephine, O-lifts are fantastic for several reasons. They are great for developing muscle, especially fast twitch fibers which make you look sexy, and they help develop explosive athletic ability and improve performance.
    My suggestion is check out some books or some internet tutorials, and if your ballsy enough, try em out first with kettlebells, like a snatch or clean. then move to barbells, but if you dont feel safe get a trainer i spose.
    Feral.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    They are great for developing muscle - No they aren't. They are all "cheat" moves.

especially fast twitch fibers which make you look sexy - Really? Now who's the Brosephine O-lifters are built like brick shit houses.

and they help develop explosive athletic ability and improve performance. - There are safer faster ways that don't take years to perfect.
    Last edited by chima_p; 03-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.

JCoop is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have one good reason to oly lift, they are damn fun. I was introduced to them via crossfit, then found an oly class which I now do three times a week. My deadlift max went up significantly after doing oly for a couple of months. HOWEVER, I would only recommend doing them if you can find a good coach. I "learned" them originally at my crossfit box, but it was not until I went to a real coach that I learned how to do them properly.
    And for what it is worth, I am a chick and it has done some amazing things for my body. Nothing like snatches to sculpt those back muscles!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast