Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting? page

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member

Heavy Lifting?

Primal Fuel
    How necessary is it? Assume that I do weightbearing exercise a few days per week via yoga and HIIT workouts that I get online but none of it actually involves weight lifting.

I've never done it, don't really want to and actually am afraid to - I see SO MANY people come in with injuries from lifting. Not to mention I don't have a gym membership or weights at home.

Anyways just wondering if skipping the lifting would be doing myself a terrible disservice.

Thanks!
    Jillian
    Strict Vegetarian going primal as of 3/2011. This is a tough row to hoe!

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 2.5" at my belly button
    • 1" in my hips

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    How necessary is it......for what? That question is without a base because I do not know your personal fitness goals. However, if you read the blue print Mark talks about it in there as a key ingredient in this lifestyle. Well, I believe he says to "lift heavy things" at least every so often. Anyway, if your goal is to lose weight/body fat as it is with me and most people on here then its pretty important to that goal. You cant build a strong body with a decent amount of muscle mass without lifting/exercise. And you wont "kick in" your hormonal pathways that respond to excercise by not excercising.Im talking about human growth hormone...the most important of them all for building & maintaining muscle mass.

Anyway, did you read the blueprint? If not, I suggest you do that ASAP before getting into any of this lifestyle further. You seem to be hanging on to some conventional wisdom (CW) hang ups regarding excercise. And until you dispell them in your mind....you cant truly embrace living primal.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

One other thing....I am an avid weight lifter who has seriously tried Yoga as well. And while I agree there is a place for Yoga(stretching muscles especially), you cannot work a muscle with Yoga as you do with resistance training (i.e. weightlifting). They are two totally different things. Im not at all saying Yoga doesnt work your body, it just works it differently in a way that weight training doesnt. Weight training WILL stimulate your hormonal pathways to kick in and make you anabolic (i.e. muscle building). This is why you need it. Maybe you can do BOTH Yoga and Weight Lifting? Then you are truly getting the best of both worlds and what you need....

Thanks for the info, I have not read it yet. This is my second day here. I'm not really holding on to anything seeing as I'm converting from vegetarianism. I'm actually completely recalibrating. Asking questions to get clarification, not because I want to hold on to anything.
    Jillian

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 1" in my hips

No harm done. I could tell from your question that you hadnt read the blueprint yet. But let me ask you a question.....why the switch from Vegetarianism?

Basically, I should be really fit and healthy (according to cw). I do yoga, in a hot room literally every single day, I practice and train as a martial artist and I run (casually, I'm no marathoner). I eat "healthy" (or so I thought). But in the past 7 years I've gained 40lbs and nothing takes it off, not increased training, not calorie restriction, not veganism, not going raw. Nothing. And I'm careful. I don't cheat. CICO just Does. Not. Work.

A friend and fellow yoga teacher sent me this link a few months ago and I looked for about 20 seconds and thought "well that's crazy!" and taht was the end of that. Last week ANOTHER friend and yoga teacher (who is/was also a vegetarian/raw foodist) told me to watch fat head. I did and I've started to read this site and it makes sense to me. Because clearly nothing else is making me healthy! I asked about the lifting because as I peruse I keep seeing it pop up.
    Jillian

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 1" in my hips

Well, I wish I could say that your story is unique but I think there are only about a ton (no pun intended) of former Vegetarians on here. And most, if not all, have a similar story to yours about coming to this lifestyle.

Let me ask you another question....were you a vegetarian because of moral reasons (i.e. you didnt want to eat animals) or because you felt that was the most healthy way to eat?

The reason I ask is because the answer to that question will determine in a large part how able you are to assume this lifestyle.Eating animal flesh/parts and animal by products (i.e. eggs) is at the center of this lifestyle. If you have issues with that then this is definitely not for you. And you shouldnt invest anymore of your time in learning about it.

However, if that isnt a problem for you...and you believe you are open to and can relearn some really important fundamentals of human metabolism (CW and/or Vegan wisdom is completely wrong and all of us on this website who have successfully adopted this lifestyle are living proof), you can do well here.

I will say this personally: I came here from a totally different place than you. I have always eaten meat and up until recently (10 weeks ago) I didnt care at all about my diet. I originally adopted a Paleo lifestyle (i.e. Robb Wolfe and Dr. Cordain have both written very good books on the subject) at the beginning of this year. I came here by accident in a search for more info about the Paleo lifestyle. Then I read the blueprint and was hooked. I have lived this way since 1-04-11 and have dropped ~25 lbs of body fat as of today. And I have NEVER felt better in my life! I am going in to my Dr next month and will have blood work done so I can confirm physically what I already know mentally: Im healthy as a horse or..as of now..pony.

But dont take my word for it....go on the "success stories" post and see all of the people doing great. Or read about them in the posts. Or ask them directly. This IS the lifestyle we as humans were "wired" to live. Check it out and I think you will be intrigued...

It was a combination of both. And an all out aversion to meat, even as a child. So yes I'm struggling on many levels and I fully expect to. I also know that I can choose kinder gentler meats from humanely kept animals. At this pont though, I'm buying cheap meat - in case I lose any battles at the table.

If it comes down to my life or theirs - I choose mine. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
    Jillian

So far I am down:
    • 6lbs
    • 1% BMI
    • 1" in my waist
    • 1" in my hips

Well, I had a big long reply typed out...and I hit the wrong button on my laptop and poof! It was gone. And I just dont have the energy to retype the whole thing.

So, here is the condensed version:

You need to come to terms with the moralistic argument of veganism/vegetarianism (what exactly is the difference between those two lifestyles again? Nevermind...its not important) before you will ever be able to come close to adopting this lifestyle. Veganism is a moralistic theory that is completely wrong and flies in the face of proven scientific fact and common sense. There are studies galore out there explaining how we evolved and why. And they all revolve around meat. Eating meat enabled us to grow our big brains and evolve from the rest of the great apes (all of whom largely subsist on a vegetarian diet). It is what our bodies were designed to run on metabolically speaking and it is healthy for you. And to do this...you need to embrace it. Dont worry about not liking the flavor. That is secondary and can be learned. I know, I used to literally -no lie-gag and throw up when I ate vegetables.Now, I eat all kinds of them AND I even find myself craving them. So, just like I learned to like them, you can teach yourself to like meat. But only if you get past the bullcrap that you have been fed with the Vegan dogma. Meat is healthy, it is right, and it is what we were meant to eat. And just because you eat it doesnt mean you disrespect animals or the rest of nature. On the contrary, I eat meat at nearly every meal and I hunt. And I have tremendous respect and thanks for animals and what they provide my family and myself. As a part of nature and a top predator, I couldnt survive without them. I need animals. Therefore, I treat them with respect and DO NOT support "animal farming" of any sort. I try to get my meat from grass fed sources and wild caught fish. The more natural an animal lives in its environment...the better it is to consume AND I might add...the better life it has. So, I ask you, how is living like that disrespectful to animals?

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JillianMarie77 View Post
    How necessary is it? Assume that I do weightbearing exercise a few days per week via yoga and HIIT workouts that I get online but none of it actually involves weight lifting.

I've never done it, don't really want to and actually am afraid to - I see SO MANY people come in with injuries from lifting. Not to mention I don't have a gym membership or weights at home.

Anyways just wondering if skipping the lifting would be doing myself a terrible disservice.

Thanks!
    How necessary? Certainly pretty helpful overall, and not at all covered by the other things you are doing.
    Injuries? Not really if you are doing it well, less than in pretty much all games certainly
    No gym? That makes it more difficult as barbell training is the best. There are affordable alternatives at home though, notable sandbag and kettlebells

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast