Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How quickly do women gain muscle mass? page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

How quickly do women gain muscle mass?

Primal Fuel
    In general terms, assuming a SL5x5 program with substantial protein intake (=>LBM in grams)?

I realize this is HUGELY dependant on about eleventy billion different factors, but does anyone have just a ballpark outtayerhat guess?

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Eklecktika....I know its not what you want to hear but it is an impossible question to answer. Reason being, we are all different. And everyone responds to any excercise program differently. And the other side of that is it is your gaining muscle mass quickly is completely dependent on you eating the MOST optimal diet for that purpose as well as you controlling your environment to obtain that goal.Like you said, eleventy billion factors determine it.

But I can say this..(and maybe this will help ease your mind a little)...there is no study that shows any difference that I am aware of between men and women with regard to the speed of acquiring muscle mass. Genetics plays a big part...and men can and will ultimately gain more mass given the same program over a longer period of time (its hormonal...sexual dimorphism at its best/worst!)...but women can gain it just as quickly.

Hope this helps. Have you tried Batty? She may know something more about this....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

RachelRD is offline Senior Member
    if you are worried that you will look like those bodybuilder women with huge muscle, deep voice, manly looking...then dont worry

those women are chemically enhanced and workout hours in the gym every day..

women do NOT have the amount of testerone to build big heavy muscles...we just dont!

if a woman is training perfectly and eating perfectly, gaining 1 pound of ACTUAL MUSCLE is not exactly easy...

lift HEAVY and dont worry.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    a long time...

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelRD View Post
    if you are worried that you will look like those bodybuilder women with huge muscle, deep voice, manly looking...then dont worry

those women are chemically enhanced and workout hours in the gym every day..

women do NOT have the amount of testerone to build big heavy muscles...we just dont!

if a woman is training perfectly and eating perfectly, gaining 1 pound of ACTUAL MUSCLE is not exactly easy...

lift HEAVY and dont worry.
    I agree with everything above, but I think the OP actually wants to gain mass - you go girl!

As for the initial question, everyone is different, but it could take years for a woman to gain any significant amount of muscle mass. Be patient and try to enjoy the process rather than getting hung up on the end result.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    It also depends on where you start I think. If you are coming from a place of very low muscle mass for your frame it will take a while to get started (by trying to get the body used to working out and actually USING the strength in those muscles) then you can gain muscle fairly rapidly until you get to a normal level and then it gets hard again.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Melody is offline Senior Member
    In 8 months I've gained 15 Lbs while dropping bodyfat by eating paleo and croasfitting. I started out a 5' 4 " 100 lb yoga chic. Meat and lifting heavy are key I think. Oh and I'm 28 and have never been super athletic and always thin.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    In 8 months I've gained 15 Lbs while dropping bodyfat by eating paleo and croasfitting. I started out a 5' 4 " 100 lb yoga chic. Meat and lifting heavy are key I think. Oh and I'm 28 and have never been super athletic and always thin.
    Congratulations Melody! That is phenomenal. But more importantly than how you look....how do you feel now?
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Extremely slowly unless you inject yourself with male hormones. I remember when my mom tried to work out, and after months of doing it consistently she was still weaker than her sedentary 14 year old son (me 5 years ago).

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Extremely slowly unless you inject yourself with male hormones. I remember when my mom tried to work out, and after months of doing it consistently she was still weaker than her sedentary 14 year old son (me 5 years ago).
    Yes, but I schooled some rowdy teenagers at the gym today.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast