Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How quickly do women gain muscle mass? page 2

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Extremely slowly unless you inject yourself with male hormones. I remember when my mom tried to work out, and after months of doing it consistently she was still weaker than her sedentary 14 year old son (me 5 years ago).
    Yeah, but she wasn't killing weights crossfit-style, I'm sure. I think with a good (cholesterol and meat-rich) diet and the right moves, women will have no problem gaining strength.

And I say strength as opposed to mass, because isn't that what matters most for both sexes? Though I suppose I don't MIND gaining some decent muscle mass on my legs and butt independent of strength. It would balance me out a bit. But, it's not a primary goal of mine at all. I'd rather look womanly, tiny, and innocent and then be able to kick someone's ass than look obviously muscular.

js290 is offline Senior Member

jostle is offline Senior Member

1/2 pound muscle every 2 weeks at very very ideal conditions

From over at Body Recomp,
    General Philosophies of Muscle Mass Gain | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

"How Fast Can You Actually Gain Muscle Mass?"

We live in an instant gratification society and are constantly bombarded with amazing claims; while this is probably most true in the world of weight loss, itís not much different when it comes to muscle gain.

Magazines advertise 20 pounds or rock hard muscle in a mere 8-10 weeks, a supplement promises 5 lbs of muscle in 3 days or whatever; all around we see claims of rapid gains in muscle mass. Sadly, this is all basically bullshit. Yeah, with glycogen loading or creatine you can increase lean body mass (not the same as muscle mass) fairly rapidly but beyond that, skeletal muscle actually grows fairly slowly.

How slowly?

On average, a natural male doing everything right will be doing very well to gain 1/2 of pound muscle per week. A female might gain half that or about 1/2 pound muscle every 2 weeks.

Letís put that in perspective: over a full year of training, assuming the trainee is doing everything right, thatís 26 pounds of the good stuff for men (13 pounds for women). Which, if you think about it, actually isnít that awful. Itís simply awful compared to what people think they are going to get based on the false promises in the magazines (or the claims of drug using bodybuilders).

That assumes that half-pound is gained week-in, week-out for the entire year. Oddly, and somewhat tangentially, it usually doesnít work that way. Trainees may go a long time with no measurable gains and then wake up several pounds heavier seemingly overnight. I have no idea why, thatís just how it usually works.

Iíd note that, under the right conditions (usually underweight high school kids), much faster rates of gain are often seen or reported. But these tend to be exceptions to the rule more than the norm and since Iím usually writing for the average male trainee whoís not 15 years old with raging hormones, I donít consider those values very illustrative. And, occasionally, when the stars are right, and everything clicks, a true one pound per week of muscle mass gain may be seen for short periods. But again, that tends to be the exception.

Let me reiterate: the average male trainee is doing well to gain about 1/2 pound muscle per week, 2 pounds per month or about 24-26 pounds per year. Iíd note that that will generally only happen in the first year of training and things slow down after that. A female may be gaining about half that much, 1 pound per month of actual muscle tissue or 10-12 pounds per year. I know it sucks but thatís reality.

If it's just mass your after, than just make sure every single time you come within sight of something edible you eat. Eat at a 1000-2000 cal surplus for a month and you will gain mass, but of course this won't just be muscle.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    I knew it was going to be hard to answer, if it was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelRD View Post
    if you are worried that you will look like those bodybuilder women with huge muscle, deep voice, manly looking...then dont worry

those women are chemically enhanced and workout hours in the gym every day..

women do NOT have the amount of testerone to build big heavy muscles...we just dont!

if a woman is training perfectly and eating perfectly, gaining 1 pound of ACTUAL MUSCLE is not exactly easy...

lift HEAVY and dont worry.
    I appreciate the reassurance, Rachel. I got over the OMGyouhavemusclesandyou'reagrrrl in about the sixth grade because it was either that, or find a different place to live. Farm work (like hauling hay) every summer built me some rockin' arms/shoulders in high school. There's a certain notoriety that comes with a) being known in the next town as the cheerleader with the great legs and b) being known for winning the class arm wrestling contest in 7th grade.

Especially when you can rock your sz 5slim wranglers with room to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    I agree with everything above, but I think the OP actually wants to gain mass - you go girl!

As for the initial question, everyone is different, but it could take years for a woman to gain any significant amount of muscle mass. Be patient and try to enjoy the process rather than getting hung up on the end result.
    Thanks Al! You nailed it...absolutely looking to build mass. And I am most definitely enjoying it. Between you and Palfrey, I'll have my butt whipped into shape sooner, rather than later.

Here's why I'm wondering about the socalled 'Rate of Gain':

I'm solidly in ketosis, and have been since the end of January. I've bounced out a couple days here and there, but no more than a week total. I eat a ton of potein-100 grams+ / day. I peeked with the calipers (shhhhh don't tell I'm supposed to be on the Whole30!) and per that,

I've cut 3% body fat (27.6->24.5) and gained 2.5 lbs LBM. In less than a month.

Reasonable? Or, maybe a better question-is that even possible?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    All calipers tell you is the (probable) thickness of the subcutaneous fat in one spot. There is a positive correlation with bodyfat percentage, but the precise relationship is going to be different for everybody, and every place you test. It's possible that the spot you were testing lost fat more quickly than the rest of your body, in which case the BF rate of change is going to be off.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    If you rely on one location, say the ubiquitous iliac, yes, I'd agree wholeheartedly. What about if you check seven locations though, isn't that more of a telling change?

I tend to figure that the more places you check, the closer you'll be to an overall picture. Yes? No?

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    If you rely on one location, say the ubiquitous iliac, yes, I'd agree wholeheartedly. What about if you check seven locations though, isn't that more of a telling change?

I tend to figure that the more places you check, the closer you'll be to an overall picture. Yes? No?
    More like greater chance for error. One place is all you need. The actual BF% is irrelevant since there is no $1M prize at the end. As long as the mm are falling all is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12