Thread: Simultaneous Fat Loss & Muscle Gain? page

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member

Simultaneous Fat Loss & Muscle Gain?

Shop Now
    Okay, I have been losing weight effortlessly since I went Primal about 3 months ago. I am 6ft. and down to 182 from 195 when I started PB. I love the way I look and feel, I am really lean and very vascular. My question is is it possible to lose fat AND gain muscle at the SAME time?? I don't want big muscles but instead want that long, lean Fight Club look. My workouts are mixed up nicely. Crossfit type circuits, deadlifts, squats, box jumps, etc. If I keep doing what I'm doing will I build more muscle or will i just get more cut as I shed more fat?? I heard somewhere that you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time. What do all of you PBers out there think about that?

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    I know for sure I gained lots of muscle and burned lots of fat at the same time. My weight has not changed at all, but I have gone from 10-12 jeans to 8 jeans, and my body shape is changing drastically.

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKATTO71 View Post
    I know for sure I gained lots of muscle and burned lots of fat at the same time. My weight has not changed at all, but I have gone from 10-12 jeans to 8 jeans, and my body shape is changing drastically.
    When I was 195-197 I was lifting and had good muscle mass but when I went PB I changed my workouts and shortened them drastically. I am honestly in awe of how much fat I have lost in the past 3 months. I am thinking of going heavier with fewer reps and only doing compound movements more often but still getting plenty of rest and getting in and out of the gym. I am pretty sure that I sacrificed a little muscle since starting PB but now i really want to dial it in and take my fitness to another level. I love being Primal, so glad that I found this lifestyle. =)

RachelRD is offline Senior Member
    I think for someone that is fairly new to lifting..or someone that took a hiatus from lifting for a while and came back to it..its easier to gain muscle and fat at the same time..

otherwise i dont see how you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously...losing fat requires a caloric deficit...gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    You can definitely lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. One example is some folks that lose heaps of fat but the scale barely moves because they've gained muscle at the same time but you can see their shape has changed. I think you just have to stick more to circuit type weight resistance exercises where you don't have much rest inbetween. Also I think you want to limit the cardio.
    You can gain muscle on a caloric deficit as long as you have the exercise stimulus of muscle. There are also some people who just put on muscle easier.
    Last edited by Sue; 03-17-2011 at 03:58 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelRD View Post
    I think for someone that is fairly new to lifting..or someone that took a hiatus from lifting for a while and came back to it..its easier to gain muscle and fat at the same time..

otherwise i dont see how you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously...losing fat requires a caloric deficit...gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus.
    Gaining muscle requires sufficient protein plus an appropriate workout strategy. Fat loss requires low carbs, a dietary fat deficit, and a healthy insulin response, allowing the fat deficit to result in burning stored fat. Under such an approach, the calories will look after themselves
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article by Lean Saloon on muscle building:
    Muscle Building 101 | The Lean Saloon

and Health Correlator:
    "Total calorie intake has a dramatic effect on protein requirements. The above numbers assume that a person is getting just enough calories from other sources to meet daily caloric needs. If a person is in caloric deficit, protein requirements go up. If in caloric surplus, protein requirements go down."
    http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com...-to-be-in.html

and Fitness Black Book:
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/how...the-same-time/
    Last edited by Sue; 03-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    This is a very common question here - searching should bring up lots of results.

The short answer is 'look at leangains.com'.

The slightly longer answer is that adding moderate amounts of muscle mass while still losing fat seems to be possible in the early stages when you're relatively untrained and have a fair bit of fat to lose. It gets harder to do as you either get more trained or get down into lower BF% ranges. So, just working out harder now may well yield results.

A more complex effort like leangains starts to be necessary as your bodyfat levels drop, or you start wanting to add muscle beyond your bodies comfort level.

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I gained muscle fast with higher protein intake, short slow heavy lifting to failure, and plenty of rest days (3-4) between. I wasn't trying to gain as much muscle as I did as fast as i did, but that's what happened. I've since stopped adding weight to my lifts because I don't want to get any bigger, just leaner. I started working more on push-ups and pull-ups rather than dumbells as often, and added weight only to my kettlebell swing because I was no longer being challenged with 20#. I don't know about all the technical lifting ideals, but from my experience, the extra protein without adding a ton of calories and keeping the carbs relatively low really worked. I used a protein isolate in the morning and at night before bed to add in the protein I needed without having to eat it.