Thread: Primal solution for loose stools? page

New Craig Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Is there a Primal solution to loose stools? My online searches keep returning the BRAT diet, which is bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Not exactly Primal.

What is a Grok to do?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

At the risk of TMI, how loose is loose?

My gut instinct (sorry!!) would be to take it easy on fat, maybe nibble some lean meat (jerky?? or chicken) and if it's a one off then just wait it out.

Lots of water though!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Bananas

They are primal

egmutza Guest

I recently had a bout with either the stomach flu or food poisoning. I found the following to work pretty well:

For the first day or so, depending on how bad off you are:

- Chicken/Beef Broth

Once you're starting to feel like you can handle some solids:

- lean ground beef/chicken/turkey

- bananas

- yams/sweet potatoes

- pumpkin

- butternut squash

These were things (aside from the bananas) my vet told me to feed the dog when she had loose stools. I figure we're both carnivores, so it ought to work for me. Seems to do the trick. Just make sure you cook off as much of the fat in the ground meat as you can.

Some of those items are a little higher in sugars/starch than I would usually eat, but when you're starving and trying to avoid a blowout, they'll do.

It also helps to eat small amounts of the food throughout the day, rather than three big meals when you're famished. That way if you find out the hard way you're not ready for solids yet, the impact is less severe.

maba is offline Senior Member

I've heard drinking Black Tea helps too.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Cut the fiber. Which should be the case anyway.

I find that my stool consistency, is much more, uh, consistent with a little fiber carb all along. Not much, though.

And bananas are not Primal, BTW. Either in the sense of lots of sugar and carbs, or that like most fruit, they are a whole lot different from the original fruit.

jmc1979 Guest

I had that problem when I first dropped carbs, banannas help, but for quick relief you can try activated carbon, they sell it at Whole Foods. I am not sure how "primal" it is, but it really does help.

New Craig Guest

Thanks all. Bananas and Tea aren't working, so I'll give some of the other ideas in this thread a try.

Does anyone have an opinion on fermented foods and this condition? I've been eating yogurt and kimchi. It hasn't cured it, but I'm not sure if it is making it worse.

caroline Guest

I've been drinking Good Belly probiotic drink. (I get mine at Whole Foods, in the refrigerated section - several yummy flavors). It has helped me a lot. I drink it first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

What works for one person in one situation is not universal. But I'll bring up again my experience with my mother's problems and how I fixed them by going to very low fiber.

It's now been three weeks w/o relapse.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-success-story