Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Binging on BBQ page 3

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieC View Post
    I "binge" on smoked meats at least 2-3 times per week. Like you, I eschew the sides and stick to just the meat and a pile of raw white onion. IN fact, for lunch today, I stopped by Vic's BBQ (happens to be the closest Q joint to my office) and had a 1/2 lb moist brisket and two gi-normous beef ribs (and a bowl full of white onions). Yu-mmy.
    Are the onions grilled? I'm a sucker for grilled onions.

RobbieC is offline Member
    Nope. Raw sliced white onion is served as a garnish just about everywhere in Texas. Along with pickle slices.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Guod is offline Senior Member
    Sweet sugary sauce is what people who don't know what Bbq is, put on Grilled food and call it Bar-b-Que. Igits!

Meat+Smoke+Vinagar=Ummm.
    And the meek shall inherit the earth.
    What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

RobbieC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    Sweet sugary sauce is what people who don't know what Bbq is, put on Grilled food and call it Bar-b-Que. Igits!

Meat+Smoke+Vinagar=Ummm.
    This.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Raw sliced white onion is served as a garnish just about everywhere in Texas. Along with pickle slices.
    Well, I guess I will learn this next year on the drive cross country.

HowToDieYoung is offline Junior Member
    Fellow Austinite here. And yes, we are the fortunate few who live amongst the greatest BBQ joints in the world (seriously folks...there is simply no match for Central Texas smoked meat markets).

I "binge" on smoked meats at least 2-3 times per week. Like you, I eschew the sides and stick to just the meat and a pile of raw white onion. IN fact, for lunch today, I stopped by Vic's BBQ (happens to be the closest Q joint to my office) and had a 1/2 lb moist brisket and two gi-normous beef ribs (and a bowl full of white onions). Yu-mmy.

I used to be able to knock down 1 lb of brisket, a half-rack of pork ribs, and half a hotty with no problem. But since going Paelo, my appetite is seriously reduced, and I find it hard to eat much more than a lb of meat at a sitting now.

Where's your favorite Q joint in Central Texas? My all time fav is still Smitty's Market in Lockhart (their pork ribs have no rival), with Southside Market in Elgin a close second (consistently outstanding brisket). I think Cooper's in Llano and Salt Lick are highly overrated.

Oh, and if you haven't tried Franklin's BBQ (was a a trailer, but moved into an actual store front on 11th St. last weekend), he's the real deal.
    Yes those lockhart joints are great. Have you ever tried snows or louie muellers? I have heard great things. Franklins is very good. It is nice they finally got a real location and a new smoker. And believe it or not whole foods smokes up some good bbq too. Sams on the east side is the only place that does mutton.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    My SIL smoked some pork this past weekend Carolina style with the spicey vinegar sauce. Very good. There used to be a place in Lynchburg VA called Daddy Bims that did Caroline style with a sour spice slaw to go on top, but they closed up shop about a year or a little more ago because their landlord wouldn't renew the lease. That was a real sin.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I found a little Tex-Mex barbecue here in West TX. Tex-Mex as in they smoke it the Mexican way, but they use shinry oak and mesquite. I have no idea what the actual difference in barbecue styles is, I just know you can taste the difference and that Mexican barbecue is fattier and has a unique flavor to it. I though it was a rub until I asked the ladies behind the counter. Just meat and how they cook it. I need to ask the girls I grew up with what the difference is one of these days.
    I grew up with 'cue. There's no such thing as too much. If it's made right, there's no rub, no sauce, nothing but the meat and the smoke and the fire/ coals. Nearly every other weekend, Dad, my Might-As- Well- Be- Uncle (Dad's best friend), and Sr. Perez from next door would go clean out fiesta and the Tom Thumb about to go bad section and 'cue it up. You haven't lived until you have a full belly of 'cue meat, (some veg), drink, a backyard full of friends, a sky full of stars and lightning bugs, the sound of crickets, fire, and kids, and the smell of the grill and smoker still in the air with the fire pit roaring away. You can say you have, but you haven't.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Joe B is offline Member
    I LOVE BBQ! hah, had to say that. Even if the place you go to uses a good amount of sugar, the majority of meat you eat is not touched by it. Also, you don't have to be 100% strict to realize the benefits of eating paleo/primal.

For the people who say they can't eat alot of smoked meat in one sitting, the fattier the meat is the easier it is to eat more of it. I can put away 1.5lbs of moist brisket with a side of collard greens no problem.

@geostump: get a smoker, I got one for my birthday last year and I love it. I have only used it once due to traveling alot last summer and being at college now, but the ribs I cooked were pretty good.

@RobbieC: I envy you man, enjoy it!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget the cherry peppers and pico.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast