Thread: Sesame article page

Elmar is offline Junior Member

Sesame article

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

I tried to find some more info on PB with regards to Sesame. One article writes a little intro but ends with "perhaps a more comprehensive post is in order for this one".

I kind of stumbled across this because we like to spend our holidays in Greece and the most famous traditional sweet bar is simply compressed sesame, almond and honey.

What really struck me that these bars have a quite impressive protein ratio. To be exact one sesame bar has similar amounts of protein (15-20%) than one of these high-tec protein bars in the gym... minus the 1000 other, unhealthy ingredients and only moderate carbs.

So if you happen to be in Greece try the cheap, very tasty, low-tec Greek Sesame/Almondbar.

All the best,
    El
    train anywhere. anytime. aeroSling

theholla is offline Senior Member
    My opinion on sesame seeds is that they are too high in Omega-6 fats to be a dietary staple, but delicious as a garnish or an occasional treat.

I've always loved those Greek candies - my grandparents used to keep the tiny ones that are just sesame and honey in their house when I was growing up. I just found a neat recipe for making them yourself:
    Sesame Honey Candy or Pasteli from Nourished Kitchen

I also grew up eating halva (a dense, slightly bitter confection made of ground sesame, sugar, and - if you were lucky - dark chocolate). Mmmm. I might try making a honey-based version for the next time I see my folks.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Elmar is offline Junior Member
    Sure, we are not talking everyday use but it seems like sesame is pretty solid food. I especially like the sesame almond combo. Probably, I am just looking for an good excuse to eat but it sure tastes better and less sweet than anything else you can get in the protein/energy bar business. Actually making it myself is a pretty cool idea.

Enter Wikiepedia:

General claims

While not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, sesame oil is reputed to have a number of therapeutic uses.

It is suggested that regular topical application and/or consumption of sesame oil should mitigate effects[19] of anxiety, nerve and bone disorders, poor circulation, lowered immunity and bowel problems. It is suggested such use would also relieve lethargy, fatigue, and insomnia, while promoting strength and vitality, enhancing blood circulation. There are claims that its use has relaxing properties which eases pain and muscle spasm, such as sciatica, dysmenorrhoea, colic, backache, and joint pain.

Sesame oil when used in infant massage, it is claimed, helps to calm babies and lull them to sleep and improves growth of the brain and the nervous system.[20] These are claims similar to other therapeutic medicines, that its having antioxidants explains beliefs that it slows the aging process and promotes longevity. A 2000 medical study showed that infant massage with sesame oil improved the weight, length, and midarm and midleg circumferences of infants at a statistically more favorable rate than all other oils tested.[21]

It is suggested that sesame oil, when consumed and/or topically applied, should relieve dryness both externally and internally. Sesame oil is sometimes recommended to alleviate the dryness associated with menopause.[22] It is believed that its use "restores moisture to the skin, keeping it soft, flexible and young looking". It is suggested that it relieves "dryness of joints" and bowels, and eases symptoms of dryness such as irritating coughs, cracking joints, and hard stools. Since "dryness of joints" is not a medically classifiable condition, it would be difficult to medically comprehend or verify these claims of panacea.

Other uses include as a laxative, as a remedy for toothaches and gum disease[23] and in the treatment of blurred vision, dizziness, and headaches.[11]

It is suggested that sesame oil could be used in the treatment of dry nose, reduction of cholesterol levels (due to presence of lignans which are phytoestrogens), anti-bacterial effects, and even slowing down certain types of cancer (due to the anti-oxidant properties of the lignans).[24]
    train anywhere. anytime. aeroSling

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    Sure, we are not talking everyday use but it seems like sesame is pretty solid food. I especially like the sesame almond combo. Probably, I am just looking for an good excuse to eat but it sure tastes better and less sweet than anything else you can get in the protein/energy bar business. Actually making it myself is a pretty cool idea.
    Totally agreed - pasteli are definitely no worse than your typical energy bar, and probably much, much better! If you really want a health boost, you could try making it with raw honey.

The Wikipedia article raises some interesting ideas - I think I have some reading to do.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout