Thread: Kicking It Into High Gear (Advice/Protien Powder)? page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Question Kicking It Into High Gear (Advice/Protien Powder)?

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so in April I want to kick my primal into high gear so I can try and get rid of the final pounds I have left to lose and well as knock it into gear and gain some chest and arm muscles...

Generally, I know what I'll be doing. I plan on giving up the diet soda (my one and only vice...), only having water to drink, fasting, dropping dairy all the way, and kicking up the lifting and such...

But is there any other advice... should I do the protien powder thing?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Protein powder isn't necessary (and I personally think it's kind of ridiculous on a diet that is supposed to emulate the evolutionary metabolic milieu). If you need more protein, just eat more meat and/or eggs.

Good luck!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I second the lack of necessity of protein powder, although I think BCAAs pre-workout if you're fasted up to that point are a good idea. Train hard and keep us updated on your results!

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    I mix 3 jumbo free range eggs with an equal amount of water and a tsp of raw honey after my workouts , and I'm getting better results from that than I ever got from any protein powder in the past . Its got it all , protein , fat and a dash of carbs .....doesn't taste too shabby either

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    If you can get 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight in your regular diet there's no need for powder. Nothing wrong with it, but you don't need it.

Chest and arms? Count on adding muscle all over and structure a program around that. Don't be the guy who spends his workouts doing cable crossovers and curls.

Just out of curiosity, is that a urine sample you're eyeballing in your avatar?

RachelRD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    If you can get 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight in your regular diet there's no need for powder. Nothing wrong with it, but you don't need it.

Chest and arms? Count on adding muscle all over and structure a program around that. Don't be the guy who spends his workouts doing cable crossovers and curls.

are lifters on this board eating THAT much protein??
    after reading up on primal/paleo...i cut my protein back (was doing about 1.5grams per pound) because i thought that was overkill..

whats everyones take on this?
    im an experienced lifter..almost 5 years..have even done a figure show within the last year..

since going primal, tho, i generally eat about the same grams of protein that i do fat...so im eating about 1 gram per pound of LEAN mass...which is prob 50-75 grams less than I used to ...

is this right?

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I also eat 1 gram per lb of lean mass, which is considered the minimum for an active athlete on PB. I'm not convinced that eating more would necessarily have any benefit.

At a minimum you need .5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass/per day on average to maintain your “structure”. If you are moderately active you need .7 or .8, and if you are an active athlete you need as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. That’s at a minimum, but it’s on a daily average.
    How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelRD View Post
    are lifters on this board eating THAT much protein??
    after reading up on primal/paleo...i cut my protein back (was doing about 1.5grams per pound) because i thought that was overkill..

whats everyones take on this?
    im an experienced lifter..almost 5 years..have even done a figure show within the last year..

since going primal, tho, i generally eat about the same grams of protein that i do fat...so im eating about 1 gram per pound of LEAN mass...which is prob 50-75 grams less than I used to ...

is this right?
    I generally try and aim for around 250g a day @ 180lbs. Depends what your goals are I suppose.
    I only train for strength when I pick up a weight, and the last thing I want to do is shortchange myself in terms of nutrition by skirting around the edges of what I require protein wise.
    It's become a little more challenging since I started 18/6 but its still quite doable.

Besides, protein = tasty thermogenic goodness. Go eat a steak I say.

The thermogenic and metabolic effects of protein h... [Metabolism. 2007] - PubMed result

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    Hahaha no, it's my mobile.

But thanks to everyone for their input!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin