Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It still takes a little willpower... page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've noticed dozens of positive changes since I went Primal two months ago. Most of them are things that, on a low-fat low-calorie diet, used up all my willpower and then some, so I'd fail at them a lot. But although most of the changes I've made are positive and I feel better about having made them, there's still a few that require some willpower for me to keep in effect, and I figure everyone has at least one or two of them. Here's mine.

1. I still need to consciously check in with my body and make sure I'm hungry, not just bored, before I make or buy food. If I'm bored, I need to find something to do. My first step whenever I get hunger pangs now is always to drink one to two cups of water, and see if it was thirst instead. I'm still learning my body signals, and this helps.

2. I still need to weigh everything I eat. My by-eye estimates are not trustworthy. I saw a portable mini-scale in a catalog once that would fit in a pocket or purse; I need to get one of those for my meals out.

3. When I go to a restaurant, I have to remember to get a take-home box right up front and put at least part of my meal into it. I have to consciously remind myself that I can eat some of it later, that I don't have to clean my plate. The starving children in Africa will not be helped by me forcing it all down, regardless of what my grandmother said. And I have to remember to set the fork down and check in with my body during the meal - and the moment I'm not hungry anymore, I have to remember to STOP EATING. As a former member of the Clean Plate Club, this is actually the hardest thing for me to do. When there's anything left on the plate, I pick at it because I feel guilty if I don't finish the entire plate. Putting some of it in a box, out of sight, helps me stick to the resolution to give up my CPC membership for good.

These are the things that are still a bit difficult for me, and take a little willpower. How about for you?

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Griff,

Portion control (knowing when to quit eating) is also one of my challenges. Even when I'm cooking a home, I tend to eat a little more than I need.

The last three days, I tried a little experiment. I cooked one large piece of meat each day, then ate only that. Whe I was hungry, I would cut one small slice...eat it...then wait a couple of minutes. If I was still hungry, I cut another slice.

I was amazed to find out how little I was actually needing.

I'm back eating a combination of meats and veggies today, but that is a lesson learned for me :-)

Griff is offline Senior Member

"I was amazed to find out how little I was actually needing."

Yes, this. I look at my three ounces of cheese and three ounces of raspberries and think "I may have dropped 48 pounds but I'm still a big guy - don't I need more than this??" and then 14 hours later I'm still not hungry. It blows my mind. I think of the dinners my parents used to serve - huge helpings of spaghetti with a big salad and garlic bread, or big bowls of chili with three kinds of beans and, of course, flour tortillas, or... and I think "we were eating, as a family of five, enough food to feed at least four times that many people!" and it just burns me up.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

maba is offline Senior Member

1 & 3 definitely for me. I've been mostly eye-balling the amounts so 2 doesn't apply. Just this weekend, I had a dessert binge because I was bored. As for the CPC, I think I have a lifetime membership to it

I'm having a tough time giving up milk. And the culprit is coffee. I don't need the caffeine but when I inhale the aroma of freshly-brewed coffee, I go weak in the knee and have to have a cup and the only way I can drink it is with milk.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Griff,

We are all works in progress, aren't we?

That's why this forum is so valuable. I learn so much here, every day :-D

Lulabelle Guest

I find listening to my body's signals to be quite a challenge as well. When I pay attention I eat much less-it's actually kind of shocking.

One of the first things I did was buy a food scale, and I was amazed at how far off my guess-timates were! I highly recommend using one.

My biggest problem is.....candy. I work for a candy manufacturer, and sometimes we need to taste test certain things, but other times I just can't resist grabbing a handful. Some weeks I do better than others, but that has really been my toughest challenge. Will....conquer.....temptation....

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I feel really blessed that grains are not a temptation at all. My friends think I'm crazy, but I am just not interested in pasta, bread, rice etc. *shrugs* It made me feel so so so ill that it's just not appealing.

Also, I was always such a picky eater that I never was swayed into the CPC! lol I was at a dinner party and the hostess commented that I always leave a little on my plate. She said it with a disaproving cluck, but I wore it like a badge of honor!

As for my areas of temptation, they come in the form of sweets, like chocolate (not diggin' the super dark, I don't like milk chocolate, I'm somewhere inbetween), anything creamy... or dessert-ish.

And dairy. I love love love dairy. I could eat an entire bowl of whipped cream, or drink milk all day if I let myself. And cheese... well in my fantasy world every meal is smoothered in cheese.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Helen Guest

I have a portion control issue also and am working on that, otherwise, I am very happy with my diet! My eyes are bigger then my stomach!

Tarlach is offline Member

If you eat the right food, you don't have to worry about portion control. Portion control is another word for starvation, as you are trying to eat less than your body wants.

Restricting calories forces your body to try and retain fat (as you aren't getting enough food). It is not helpful for weight loss as you are fighting hormone responses. It is much easier to work with your hormones and do less work.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Griff, I think your OP is full of wisdom and right on. So much of this weight loss battle is habit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast