Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It still takes a little willpower... page 2

Griff is offline Senior Member

Tarlach: I beg to differ. I lose weight best when I make sure I don't eat until I'm stuffed. The only way to ensure I don't stuff myself is to stop and eat slowly and check in to see if I'm still hungry. If I'm not, I stop eating. Simple.

The problem is that I have not listened to my body's signals in so long that I'm having to learn them as if I've never heard them before. So it's going to take me some time before I'll "just know" when I'm satisfied. Right now the only "satisfied" I've ever been able to identify by feeling is the spacy-carby-head, overstuffed-oh-god-I-ate-too-much feeling, which is Not Good.

OTB: Thanks!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Catalina is offline Member

Griff, I agree with your comment about the "before PB" system of satisfaction--overstuffed. I've found I have no interest in grains UNLESS someone is offering me some. Weird how there is a knee-jerk reaction somehow. I have no interest when shopping or choosing from a menu. I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that.

Tarlach is offline Member

Griff: Try a meal of pork belly with nothing else. It's pretty hard to eat much of the stuff as it's mostly calories from fat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

@Tarlach:

That's why I do carnivore days every few weeks.

It's to remind me how much I should be eating. It's easy when it's pork belly or pork country ribs....

So good...so filling.

But sometimes I make recipes, and I forget how to listen to my body....

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

The only thing I had a craving for was some chocolate, and butter croissants. I gave in to the chocolate urge at the weekend and had a tiny piece - it was disgusting (thankfully!). I won't be indulging in the croissants, needless to say!

With regards to things like portion control, well I haven't been worrying about it, to be honest. Only in as much as I still get hooked on the calories thing, and FitDay tells me I'm not getting enough. But I am full, so I must be fine. Last night I got a bit dizzy when doing weights with my Personal Trainer, so perhaps I need to eat a little more on full-on weights days - but hey, that's the wonder of our bodies - they do tell you what they want!

Griff - I have been reading your journal - you really are an inspiration. I think you're doing wonderfully - and if portion control works for you, then keep at it.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I notice alot of TV programs seem to be plugging food more and more, like with the main characters actively eating on screen...could this be a pitfall? To be specific the series Lie to Me and Rita Rocks.

Fox has admitted to doing something like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiMaILygSjk

But in a "good" way

BikerPike Guest

Griff I agree with your list of 1 and 2. Willpower is important I think as we adapt to a new way of eating/living until it becomes second nature.

I think for some of us we are overweight for a number of reasons and addressing those issues is key to having long term success.

I'm been working on losing weight and getting healthy since 4/03. I've made a lot of progress but still have areas I struggle with.

I need to listen to my body as I'm used to eating at certain times, out of habit and out of boredom. My stomach often is making sounds but I have no hunger. I need to change my habits and I'm not there.

Same concept with how much I eat. I'm not always eating out of hunger and my eyes are wrong at measuring doing the weighing of my food it helping me reeducate my eyes. Plus after eating low fat food for so long Primal eating tastes so much better I'm enjoying things I haven't eaten in years.

Lindsay0311 Guest

Hey

First off, I just want to say that I absolutely love this post. I struggle with eating right daily. I find myself caving in to cravings and then getting really upset with myself for letting myself do that. I would say my biggest struggles are:

1. Mid-Afternoons...Finding ways to not think about snacking when I am tired at work. I always get that afternoon slump and feel like I just need some sugar to get me going again.

2. Late nights...I always seem to want to snack...even if I KNOW I am not hungry. I will try chewing gum but even that isn't good on Paleo.

3. Not letting myself go crazy when eating out and punishing myself later.

Thanks again for this post! It is nice to hear that I am not alone!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

See, if we eat high fat & protein and watch our overeating, the amount of food is dramatically decreased. To me, this washes out the fact that the 'grass-fed beef' is more expensive.

My IF saves money on meals and my food budget is stretched.

But, again, I fight with my brain too. I was deprived of sweets as a child, so it's like a rebellion that now, as an adult I'M in charge, so I treat myself, even if I don't have a craving, per-say.

Stupid brain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12