Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Spot fat reduction" by targeting a hormonal response ?!? page

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member

"Spot fat reduction" by targeting a hormonal response ?!?

Primal Fuel
    I have come across an interesting topic over a Rob Wolf's forum, and independently in my email. The basic premise is that different hormones are responsible for fat storage in different areas, and that you can target your exercise based on the desired hormonal response. So for example, if you would want to reduce fat in the belly / stomach area, you'd do some "lactic acid type" training, which is low weight / high reps / emphasis on the concentrics.

I have put some more detailed information in my blog, and I will maintain this post when I learn some more about it. “Spot fat reduction” using hormone-focused training ?!? | Thor Falk

Any views or experiences out there?
    Last edited by Thor Falk; 03-17-2011 at 01:26 PM.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I've often wondered about this. If certain hormonal imbalances cause you to store fat in certain areas of your body, such as chronically high insulin levels leading to fat storage in the abdomen, then it would seem to make sense that you could target specific fat storage areas through eating and exercising in a way that promotes a certain hormonal balance. And I think that's why Primal works at changing body composition so well, because it lowers insulin and cortisol. I'm not sure about testosterone though, or how that would impact men differently from women.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Thor...I read the link and saw what you posted in your blog. But maybe Im dense. What exactly were the exercises that were recommended for each of the problem areas? For instance, Im interested in what "dynamic" exercising is? I have problem love handles that I desperately want to get rid of ....(I've always had them since being a child!). If there is an exercise out there or type of exercising that is supposed to target the damned things...I WANT TO TRY IT!

Let me know if you know...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    There is some strong science here and this has been covered by Poliquins Bio-Signature. But it essentially says that we should all be exercising in a variety of intensities and timeframes - aren't we all doing this anyway?

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I have made a more structured post on this topic here Spot fat reduction, hormones, and training strategy | Thor Falk

Nachobrawler: this is what I was trying to find out as well - I've got a bit closer. Gotta keep in mind though that Roman is trying to sell his program, so he will obviously keep some of the "top secret" stuff for himself. Having said this - he has been pretty open in the interview (my notes are now in the old post - he talks about Dynamic Training from about 23:20), and I have written down what I understood in my new post. Would be keen to get your views on this.

Coach Palfrey: do you have any more specific references? Although I'd say that this is generally true, but I would think that it is quite nice that you can decide where you want to focus your training when you have a certain specific goal in mind. It also gives you a tool to use training in a therapeutic sense if you have identified certain imbalances

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about scientific references but here is some more reading:

Poliquin Performance Center - Chicago (PPC-C)

I'm not generally a fan of Poliquins stuff and this is no exception.

Thor: Went back and read your notes. From what I could gather, it sounds as though the "dynamic" way of training involves supersetting multiple muscle groups (i.e. shoulders and legs) with short rest in between sets (maybe 30 seconds)? And the workouts are of VERY high intensity-to be completed in ~40 minutes? Does that sound about right?

Well, if it is, then I have a problem and I think that his theory about spot reducing probably doesnt hold water. Reason being, I have more or less adopted basically the same regimen as was described to me in the notes over the past few years time.

Here's a normal work out for me:

6 to 10 x 3:00 minute rounds of hitting my 100lb Heavy Bag (I do this primarily for the Cardio benefits)
    In between rounds I jump rope for :45 seconds (also for Cardio)
    After jumping rope I move straight into a set for whatever body parts Im working that day, say Chest and Shoulders. I would then do a set of bench presses (working up to my heavy weight for 5 or so reps over multiple sets).Immediately following the bench I would do some sort of shoulder exercise(say lateral raises with a dumbbell. Also working up to a weight where I can get only 8 reps/set). When done with shoulders I would take a drink of water, wipe my forehead with a towel and then restart the timer for the next round. I'd repeat the entire process working through both my chest and shoulder muscle groups with different exercises for both (i.e. wide arm push ups or dumbbell/band flyes & others for chest, as well as bent over laterals and shrugs for shoulders etc). It all takes me ~ 60 minutes and wen I am done....I am toast.

So, from that, I think I may have already adopted the recommended training regimen for spot reducing my love handles. But you know what, they are still there (I just pinched the crap out of them this morning cause I cant stand looking at them!).

I have only been primal for 10 weeks and have lost ~25 lbs following this type of workout regimen and the diet (I weighed 226 lbs all week). So, maybe there is more to come and I just need to stick with it. But so far, the damn things aren't going anywhere....

Zaphyr is offline Member
    Very interesting, though I agree that we should be striving for balance by doing many kinds of training and exercise. I am assuming the hormone theory also applies to women?

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Thor...I read the link and saw what you posted in your blog. But maybe Im dense. What exactly were the exercises that were recommended for each of the problem areas? For instance, Im interested in what "dynamic" exercising is? I have problem love handles that I desperately want to get rid of ....(I've always had them since being a child!). If there is an exercise out there or type of exercising that is supposed to target the damned things...I WANT TO TRY IT!

Let me know if you know...

Aren't love handles and leptin resistance positively associated?

I'll try to rustle up a source here...gimme a sec...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Eklecktika View Post
    Aren't love handles and leptin resistance positively associated?

I'll try to rustle up a source here...gimme a sec...
    Awesome Eklecktika....let me know what you find out. Im ready to cut the things off with a butcher knife!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast