Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some direction from fellow Groks.. page

EJR
    EJR is offline Junior Member

Need some direction from fellow Groks..

Hello - I have been primal for about 3 months and I need some assistance about muscle gain.

A little background I am 40 years old and about 5’7. Last summer I was about 210, but entered a “biggest loser” contest at work and by using CW I dropped 38lbs within 16weeks. However, 3 months later I gained 18 lbs by going overboard and eating everything in sight – Yes I starved myself to lose those 38 lbs, so I really felt that I could let myself go a little bit. I found PB and my wife and I started January 5th. I am really really enjoying the primal lifestyle.

As of this morning, I am currently at 164lbs. I try to at least workout 2 times a week and normally run 3 days a week (2-3 miles per day). I have also cut out most fruit and dairy from my diet to lose weight, (I mostly eat veggies first then meat). About 3 times a week I will have 100% Whey shake because its GF (the main reason why my wife jumped on board with primal) I also started IF about 3 weeks ago.

My current goal is to be lean but gain more muscle and possibly have abs show by summer time. (What I mean by muscle, I rather look the size of Bruce Lee rather than Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    As you can see - it’s kind of easy for me to lose weight but it seems a lot harder for me to gain muscle, but on the hand, if I don’t watch what I eat I can easily gain weight as well.

So my questions:
    When do I stop focusing of body fat and start working on muscle? I am lean now, but have a layer of fat covering my abs.
    Do I increase my carb intake to gain muscle? I have read on the forums that possibly eating potato can assist in increase muscle size before workouts..Is this True??
    Do I increase my Protein intake and slack off on Cardio (running)?
    By the way.. I hate the gym and I am trying to build my own workout area at home but on a budget. I also use the gym because it’s still kind of cold outside. Saying that most, of my workouts are more like circuit training than heavy lifting.
    However, if there is a book or site that you recommend please let me know. I have seen some sites that have ebooks, however I don’t want to spend $47-$70 without any recommendations.

Thanks for your comments.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Hi EJR

sounds like you're doing pretty good so far. when it comes to muscle, you've got to consider your goals: do you want to look strong, or be strong? if you prefer the bruce lee look, you want to keep working on losing body fat. but, that will come mostly from food, sprinting, and explosive lifting (body weight or at-home work is just fine). losing the last bit of body fat is hard, and it takes time. keep eating primal, moving slow, definitely add sprints if you aren't sprinting, and consider programs like mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness or Simplefit, plus adding some explosive work on top.

increasing your carb intake is good for a couple reasons, specifically increased energy and increased muscle mass (by increasing glycogen stores). having potato every now and then isn't a bad thing...just keep your carbs primal (no grains, legumes, etc.) and keep moving.

your running seems okay to me. a few miles a few times a week isn't chronic cardio. there are people on these forums who use 3 miles as a warm up, and people who use 3 miles as a goal to reach one day...it all depends on your own comfort and fitness levels. but try replacing your boring run with a little persistence hunting for a better workout. rather than cutting back on the running, just add some lifting and sprinting and any other exercise that lets you reach whatever physical goals you may have

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I have quite a number of resources on my blog Thor Falk | Fitness is a journey, not a goal… that my help you given that I have been on a similar journey, and I might just be a bit ahead. If you browse it you might find a few hints and pointers that might help you further (everything on my site is free by the way :-) ).

For a training plan template have a look at “The Road To Fitness” – The Book | Thor Falk

For books have a look at Books | Thor Falk. I'd say at the very least you should get the Primal Blueprint and Gary Taubes (cheapest on Kindle). If you want to do kettlebell you should get Pavel's book, and I also particularly like Verstegen's book (both of those are a bit more expensive and are only available on hardcopy.

You should also check out the websites here Web | Thor Falk and in my blogroll. I would particularly recommend the CrossFit Journal if you do some roll-your-own programming, you'll find tons of useful information in the archives, and it is only $25.

Finally, if you want to get some "inspiration" my more recent training plans are here Training Plan | Thor Falk, and my workout diary is here WOD | Thor Falk

Hope this helps, and dont hesitate to ask more specific question if you'd like!
    Last edited by Thor Falk; 03-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.

EJR
    Thank you! - You guys are awesome!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    What's your strength training program like. Can you list an example workout week.
    Also list a typical days diet.

EJR
    My diet is based off of Primal and is normally pretty predictable. However I don't know if I am getting enough fat in my diet.

Breakfast - 3 egg veggie omelet (mushrooms, red pepper, etc..) Sometimes on the weekends my omelets normally contain bacon or sausage.
    Lunch - Normally Salad (protein changes - Chicken, or tuna) with veggies, Avocado
    Dinner - (My smallest meal) anything from the Primal cookbook with veggies. Any meat is about the size of a deck of cards, but I mostly eat Chicken or fish - Beef is about 2-3 times a week.
    Snacks between meals if I am hungry - Almonds or 100% Whey shake (GF)
    I am alternating my 24 hr IF days. Some weeks Monday and Friday or Tuesday and Thursday (workout days)
    I drink about 10-12 glasses of water per day and take the vitamin D, E, B12, probiotics. I tend to say away from sweet stuff like honey or maple syrup and of course all the junk...

I am currently going to the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays- I break up upper body - Chest and arms on Tuesdays and Back and shoulders Thursday. Abs I try to do every other day where ever I am at. (Abs and chest are my weakest).
    I use mostly nautilus machines - medium weight with high reps and 3-4 sets each
    I give myself about 40-45 minutes to lift and then run for 2 miles on both days. I average about 22-24 minutes for my 2 miles and I normally get a 3 mile run in for the weekend. Running is the only workout that my legs get.
    Since I have time constraints (that's why I want to start working out at home)- I feel like my "gym time" tends to be like circuit training, but i am normally feeling tired at the end but not totally wiped out.
    Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    but try replacing your boring run with a little persistence hunting for a better workout.
    I am soo trying this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    I have quite a number of resources on my blog Thor Falk | Fitness is a journey, not a goal…
    Looks like I found my reading list for tonight!

The easiest way to lower bodyfat is to increase muscle mass.

A lot of things to change here:

You're not doing any leg work in the gym. Hire a trainer to show you the following movements or buy and apply "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe.
    * Tuesday - All with barbell... squat, bench press, deadlift, standing overhead press. 5 sets of 5 reps.
    * Thursday - Barbell power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups 5x5 again
    * Saturday - Hill sprints 8x100 meters.

Eat everything you're eating now and add half a gallon of organic whole milk and another 6 eggs per day or double to quadruple your lunch / dinner meat size. I'm serious... I eat about a pound of meat every dinner.

Lift big, eat big, sprint balls out. (I add in yoga for flexibility).
    You will get to where you want to be following those guidelines.

EJR
    Wow.. Ok I can understand the workout but the increase in food will be a challenge for me. So are you wanting me to increase protein intake? Could I do this with protein shakes? I could probably drink more of those, in fact I have one with 60g of protein, but don't like all the stuff in there..

Eat real food. Try to add a little at a time. Maybe a glass of milk and an extra egg at breakfast for a week... or up the dinner meat only. They maybe a glass at lunch and a hardboiled egg. You get the point. You won't get fat quick... you'll know if you're taking in too much... use the mirror as a guide. If you give your body good stuff... it will build good stuff

You're going to need more fuel to rebuild muscle when you switch from a machine based circuit training to some serious strength training.

I would recommend you hire a real competetive powerlifter or olympic lifter to teach you the proper form. It willl be worth every penny.

Most people want to be stronger, faster, more flexible and injury free. Hitting the iron, sprinting and yoga will get you there in the most efficent way... not circuit training and jogging.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    The easiest way to lower bodyfat is to increase muscle mass.

A lot of things to change here:

You're not doing any leg work in the gym. Hire a trainer to show you the following movements or buy and apply "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe.
    * Tuesday - All with barbell... squat, bench press, deadlift, standing overhead press. 5 sets of 5 reps.
    * Thursday - Barbell power clean and press, weighted dips, weighted pullups 5x5 again
    * Saturday - Hill sprints 8x100 meters.

Eat everything you're eating now and add half a gallon of organic whole milk and another 6 eggs per day or double to quadruple your lunch / dinner meat size. I'm serious... I eat about a pound of meat every dinner.

Lift big, eat big, sprint balls out. (I add in yoga for flexibility).
    You will get to where you want to be following those guidelines.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast