Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a hard time eating protein! page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Having a hard time eating protein!

Shop Now
    And this is ME! The girl who has always said she'd sooner live on steak than salad, even as a elementary school kid. But lately, the thought of eating steak...eggs...chicken/pork/red meat literally turns my stomach. I know I need it, but the texture/taste is suddenly NOT appetizing.

I'm really stuffed up-seasonal allergies are hitting already, combined with a new influx of cigarette smoke in my house compliments of my soontobe EXroommates BF-and that may be part of it, but in the meantime, I'm getting about 1/4-1/3 of what I feel like I need. I'm averaging around 40 grams of protein a day, and try to aim for between 105-120ish. It's been a little over a week, and no signs of it letting up anytime soon.

I've never been able to stomach the taste/texture of eggs, except as raw-fried/scrambled etc gag me.

I cooked some really awesome looking sirloin steaks last night, and got about half of normal down, and figured I'd finish it off for breakfast-no way. Got about three bites down, and nearly gagged.

Oh, and no, no "buns in the oven", that much is certain.

Any thoughts about what to do in the meantime? I'm definitely feeling the lack of protein in my energy levels. I'm about halfway tempted to ditch my whole30 gig and go get some protein powder-there's a limit to how many raw egg yolks I can chug.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    You didn't mention fish. Does it cause the same problems? I guess dairy is out for the whole 30 also, right? Otherwise you could go for cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem, more around TOM
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    You didn't mention fish. Does it cause the same problems? I guess dairy is out for the whole 30 also, right? Otherwise you could go for cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.
    Yeah, it does, less so, but still rather gag-a-riffic. Which sucks, because I really do like fish. I've tried canned tuna & salmon, sardines, and fillets (salmon, cod, halibut) and while I can get it down it's really tough. And to get enough protein takes a lot of fish, which is $$$.

Maybe I just need to suck it up, eh? It's tough to eat when it's totally unappetizing though.

Maybe I'll try cottage cheese-that actually sounds kind of good. Sticking to the Whole30 is sort of besides the point if I lose a bunch of LBM.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    What about eggs baked into something? The spinach bread in the 1st PBR book is good (if you like spinach) & you could always add a few more eggs and make it more quiche like if you can handle quiche. (Since it actually doesnt resemble bread in any form I dont consider this "primalizing regular food" - its just a recipe.)

I find it easier to handle protein I dont have to chew much. Thin sliced meat, even ground beef is easier than steak when that protein gag hits. I can chop cooked meat into small pieces and scatter it in salad.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

That's a good idea runnergal-I'll try that. I've avoided it and the quiche/egg muffin thing because the texture of cooked egg is one of the very few 'texture issues' that I have. Normally I have a cast iron stomach-can and will eat pretty much everything, save cooked eggs. I'll try the small pieces bit too-I didn't think of that either.

I'm not used to being picky. It's throwing me for a loop!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I must ask you a question here. Is it at all possible you are pregnant? I ask because my ex-wife became suddendly skeeved by meat and lo and behold found out she was pregnant soon thereafter. Just something to consider.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest eating higher carb, more tubers and fruit for now, since carbs have a muscle sparing effect. Gelatin (bone broths) is also protein sparing. You could also eat some nuts.
    Have you tried shrimp/shellfish/crab/octopus?
    Have you tried going to a restaurant and having a chef cook for you instead? I know I tend to repeat my meals way too often, and it does indeed get nasty at times eating "chilli" aka ground beef and veggies for the 974th time .
    Last edited by Pandadude; 03-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Would it hurt just to eat more plants and less/no meat for a week or two, if that's what you feel like? If you'd never heard of macronutrients and daily requirements, what would you eat?

(Grokette presumably didn't eat the exact same quantity of protein every day, did she?)

Can't do shrimp, I've gotten severe food poisoning from it twice and both times required IV plugins to be rehydrated. Was not pretty. Severe GI distress doesn't even begin to approach it! Haven't tried crab/other shellfish, it's hard to come by around here.

My standard daily diet IS meat, and always has been-I've tended to subsist on primarily meat since I was about third or fourth grade. I'd have to be forced to eat veggies, but would happily snarf an extra piece or three of steak/burger/pork chop...which is why this is so weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast