Thread: Beef Heart Jerky - Awesome! page

highmountainlakes is offline Junior Member

Beef Heart Jerky - Awesome!

Primal Fuel
    I just made the beef heart jerky from the post on March 8th. It tastes great! I will be taking a lot of this with me backpacking in the Cascade mountains!
    I followed the recommended recipe below and after about 6-8 hours in the dehydrator - it was perfect.

Beef heart was the least expensive cut of beef at the store and has basically 0 fat. (important for jerky)

Note: If you don't like things too spicy you might want to cut the cayenne in half. The next time I make it, I will keep the cayenne the same and add a little sweetner to the marinade. Probably a tablespoon of honey.

Enjoy!

From the MARCH8 blog post:
    "Heart, being nearly pure lean muscle, makes excellent jerky. Get a half-frozen heart and carve as thinly as possible (freezing makes accurate slices easier). For three pounds of heart, marinate slices in a 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper for at least twelve hours. Let them dry on paper towels completely before drying. Obviously, a food dehydrator works best but an oven set to its lowest heat with the door ajar works, too. They’re ready when completely dry. Everyone will enjoy it, and best of all, you won’t be lying by calling it beef jerky."
    Save on Gas & Diesel...Here

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Whoah, brilliant.

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    I'll have to try that. I usually use london broil (beef or buffalo) and dry without heat (just a fan blowing on it) like biltong.

Paleobird Guest
    Venison flank steak works really well too.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Might have to try this....

Out of interest, if you tried to jerkify a fatty bit of meat, would it still store okay for a few days? By fatty I mean, say, ribeye; not pork belly!!

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, the bits of fat on my jerky are very creamy and delicious. They seem to keep a good while too. I do mine with no heat, just a fan blowing on it.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    Cool!! glad to hear the feedback. I've been meaning to do this with a bison heart I have in the freezer. and, I just got a new smoker think I need more hearts!!

himtn: you sliced it partiall frozen, right?
    Lars: oh I love love love billtong - haven't had any in yrs!!!! might have to try that this summer. I've used london broil before quite a bit...